salvadore33

Reel use at the cape cod canal

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hey fellas

So i wanted to get your opinions concerning using the right reel for the right application at the canal. have two set ups ready for both jigging and plugging. Im using a okuma longitude 10ft rated from 3oz-8oz for jigging

and a 10.5 ft st croix mojo surf rated 2oz -6oz for plugging. I have a saragossa SW8000 and a penn 704Z ready to pair for each rod. my question is should i be using the faster Saragossa for jigging or for plugging.

Lue 

1 hour ago, ged said:

I would use gosa and mojo for both

Yep. Put the 'Gosa on the Mojo and leave the other stuff in the car for emergencies.

to be honest with you, the Gosa, will be your only reel to use at the CCC, and that reel, has border line retrieve , for jigging, when jigging please don't try to use 3 oz. JH's, and think that they are getting to the bottom, the shi$ shows at the canal, recently, were caused by guys not having the right gear to jig with, top water, and plugging (MS'ers, SS's), are diferent type of fishing, when you are in a jig line-up, please have the somewhat right gear....fast rod, heavy jigs, and fast retrieve reels..... i am just giving you the Gospel truth, not trying to be a A-hole... engoy your stay......

On 7/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, salvadore33 said:

should i be using the faster Saragossa for jigging or for plugging.

Lue 

I have a 'Gosa 8K that I use for jigging. The reel is a workhorse, has a great drag and is fast enough to buzz in your jigs at the end of your drift to keep it from snagging in the weeds.

I use a long cast reel, an Ultegra XSC 10000 for plugging.

19 hours ago, lureman said:

to be honest with you, the Gosa, will be your only reel to use at the CCC, and that reel, has border line retrieve , for jigging, when jigging please don't try to use 3 oz. JH's, and think that they are getting to the bottom, the shi$ shows at the canal, recently, were caused by guys not having the right gear to jig with, top water, and plugging (MS'ers, SS's), are diferent type of fishing, when you are in a jig line-up, please have the somewhat right gear....fast rod, heavy jigs, and fast retrieve reels..... i am just giving you the Gospel truth, not trying to be a A-hole... engoy your stay......

Appreciate the candidates lineman. I'm deff using no less than 5oz for jigging. I've thankfully learned my lesson by experiencing others getting cross lined. It's really the plugging I've done less of at the canal. 

On 7/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, lureman said:

Witnessed this first hand the last two weeks. If you join a crowd ask what others around you are using and match up. I was going 5oz or 6oz all week with these tides that barely hit bottom at times.  

I second the comment on the gosa and mojo leave the other stuff in the car as a backup. Only time for plugging in the canal these past two weeks was at daybreak in my experience

On 7/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, lureman said:

I got there about 10 minutes after the $hi-show ended on Thursday. Immediately moved down about half a mile. I have all the right gear, but I'm not going there anymore without lots of big friends. 

That's not why I go fishing. F-ing savages.

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I got there about 10 minutes after the $hi-show ended on Thursday. Immediately moved down about half a mile. I have all the right gear, but I'm not going there anymore without lots of big friends. 

That's not why I go fishing. F-ing savages.

I was there Thursday through Sunday. Stayed way away from the latest "hot spot". Caught a bunch of smaller fish and didn't get yelled at once. I'm not fighting that crowd.

Edited by Kima

Is it that bad to where folks get into physical altercations? I plan to visit the CCC  second week of September.  I’m following along for all the tips and proper  etiquettes. Just wanna fish, and cause no trouble, that’s all.

I stayed mid-Cape for a week in early June and used Google

Earth and a bit of common sense to find inlets where there were tons of structure to fish and I had a blast. Three tides, had the place almost to myself each time. Someday I do want to try the Canal but having experienced the Montaulk version of the shyte show I want no part of it when tempers flare. :eek:

Put it this way I bought a Becker necker knife while on Vacation in the cape and wore it around my neck the entire time I fished the **** show. 

My tip of to make friends with the guy immediately to your left and right. Cast in sync and you'll protect your stretch of the river.

I was fishing the crowded hot spot area but had no issue with this approach but felt good knowing I had a kbar on my neck and a filleting knife on my surf belt. 

Place was wild