Fish Monkey

Bourne Quahogs

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bradW said:

i never understood the pole on the shoulder. tried it but just seemed like an awful position to put yourself in from an ergonomic standpoint. get a t-handle and be done with it. much easier on the body IMO

T-handle works for me too, in certain areas, in others a regular scratcher.

22 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Brad even with the t handle one can work it from the shoulder to drive it deeper during the winter months when the ground is a little frozen Working a t handle from a boat is a little better as the boat becomes the rigid point . One thing I often wonder that when in the boat. Placing a hard rubber cupped insert against the boat that the handle would sit in while working it, might be better then just using the up and down motion I often see being used against the hull of the boat[ What say yee Rob on the boat ?.

get longer teeth if you're trying to go deeper. there's no need to "bury" the rake even in the winter. bullraking, contrary to the name, is more of a finesse game then brute force. i've seen some old timers pulling rakes over the years who put young, strong guys to shame on numbers with compared effort. 

i don't understand your second part. are you asking why the rake isn't fastened to the boat? 

15 hours ago, bradW said:

get longer teeth if you're trying to go deeper. there's no need to "bury" the rake even in the winter. bullraking, contrary to the name, is more of a finesse game then brute force. i've seen some old timers pulling rakes over the years who put young, strong guys to shame on numbers with compared effort. 

i don't understand your second part. are you asking why the rake isn't fastened to the boat? 

A bunch of years ago while fishing for flounder near the Fall River and Rhody line, I watched a hogger have a long rake with a t handle on it at the end, however it looked like he had some sort of leather strap attached to the middle that was attached to the boat. He would work the rake , take his hands of the rake and it looked like the rake stayed in place , until he did some more up and down action , then what ever was attached appeared to also be use in order to lift it out of the water , now the handle gave the appearance that it was well over any handle that I have seen around here being used by land based guys. 15 or 20 feet perhaps? A chain fall of some sort was used in the lifting that was attached to what I think was a leather strap of some sort.

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

A bunch of years ago while fishing for flounder near the Fall River and Rhody line, I watched a hogger have a long rake with a t handle on it at the end, however it looked like he had some sort of leather strap attached to the middle that was attached to the boat. He would work the rake , take his hands of the rake and it looked like the rake stayed in place , until he did some more up and down action , then what ever was attached appeared to also be use in order to lift it out of the water , now the handle gave the appearance that it was well over any handle that I have seen around here being used by land based guys. 15 or 20 feet perhaps? A chain fall of some sort was used in the lifting that was attached to what I think was a leather strap of some sort.

the strap you're talking about just sounds like something i used when looking to take a quick break and not drift. i used just a short rope off a cleat to hold the t-handle. lot of guys do this. 

the second part of your post refers to deep water digging. this is popular in Rhode Island where they sometimes dig in 30 feet of water. they use a hauler to pull the rake up from the depths. a rope is attached to the bullrake itself and then wrapped around the hauler to assist in pulling up the full rake. i never worked water that deep so never found the need

1 hour ago, bradW said:

the strap you're talking about just sounds like something i used when looking to take a quick break and not drift. i used just a short rope off a cleat to hold the t-handle. lot of guys do this. 

the second part of your post refers to deep water digging. this is popular in Rhode Island where they sometimes dig in 30 feet of water. they use a hauler to pull the rake up from the depths. a rope is attached to the bullrake itself and then wrapped around the hauler to assist in pulling up the full rake. i never worked water that deep so never found the need

Thanks for the explanation, at least I was able to recall seeing it being done differently then I see around here