Fish Monkey

Bourne Quahogs

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Fish Monkey said:

I gave it my first try today and got a couple dozen. I got 1 my first scrape and thought "cool this is easy" and then proceeded to get a total of 7 in about an hour. Then I watched a guy who got there when I did walk back to his truck with a full basket. I obviously went to where he was and did alot better. I should have been in the muck the whole time. The first area I was in was sandy. So I learned something. Now it's time to attempt some crazy clam pasta recipe my wife wants to try. My back hurts.

You did better than me on my first try.

Mod your rake handle with a perpendicular shaft handle, good leverage to press down, and I have a loop webbing strap on the end to also pull, working it like a backhoe.

Cut that meat small for your dish

KIMG0932.JPG

3 hours ago, Fish Monkey said:

I gave it my first try today and got a couple dozen. I got 1 my first scrape and thought "cool this is easy" and then proceeded to get a total of 7 in about an hour. Then I watched a guy who got there when I did walk back to his truck with a full basket. I obviously went to where he was and did alot better. I should have been in the muck the whole time. The first area I was in was sandy. So I learned something. Now it's time to attempt some crazy clam pasta recipe my wife wants to try. My back hurts.

20190710_115830.jpg

Good job bud! It was a great day 2 be in the water shellfishing.......:)

20 hours ago, FishRatz said:

You did better than me on my first try.

Mod your rake handle with a perpendicular shaft handle, good leverage to press down, and I have a loop webbing strap on the end to also pull, working it like a backhoe.

Cut that meat small for your dish

KIMG0932.JPG

I know someone who had a custom built Ribb rake that was the absolute balls for quahogging. Two perpendicular handles welded to opposite sides of the shaft. ;) 

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I know someone who had a custom built Ribb rake that was the absolute balls for quahogging. Two perpendicular handles welded to opposite sides of the shaft. ;) 

I know who you mean!

The whole shaft was stainless steel too...if I recall the description. That design works well working from boats...com style.

I do like the way I have this single handle tho, since a lot of your pressure is placed downwards to sink the teeth, then I use the web wrist strap to pull.

But using a plain old rake handle is a lot of work.....

I never really got into hogging when I can just dig a bucket of steamers in 30min to 1 hour. Steamers taste much better to me. If I was making a chowder I would go get some quohogs.

Oh!  FishRatz comment just reminded me.... GLOVES!   

I used to scoff at guys wearing gloves to work in.   Blisters were a symbol of pride for me. (they are no longer, I've grown... older, heck even my dad wore gloves  to cut wood in towards the end)   

If they aren't one for you... get yo'self some gloves.

3 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Were the handles welded to the shaft, or were they welded to a collar that could slide up and down the shaft for different depths ??

52 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Were the handles welded to the shaft, or were they welded to a collar that could slide up and down the shaft for different depths ??

TBH, I forgot. I'm trying to picture it in my head from 4500 miles away, lol.

1 min ago, Ditch Jigger said:

TBH, I forgot. I'm trying to picture it in my head from 4500 miles away, lol.

Sometimes , hard from 10 miles away to picture or remember  too.  :D

7 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Yea I know that guy too. ;)

Having worked a wood handle for a long time I would think that drilling a hole or two through the wood would weaken the wood . It woulod seem that using a metal collar around the wood and using pressure to hold it in place may be a better way to address that unless you use aluminum that is air plane quality . It is a little thicker and stronger overall when used as a handle . I have several custom rakes made up by the Ribbs over the years that have proven to last the test of time .

6 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Having worked a wood handle for a long time I would think that drilling a hole or two through the wood would weaken the wood . It woulod seem that using a metal collar around the wood and using pressure to hold it in place may be a better way to address that unless you use aluminum that is air plane quality . It is a little thicker and stronger overall when used as a handle . I have several custom rakes made up by the Ribbs over the years that have proven to last the test of time .

the wooden rake handle is already compromised at the basket connection with holes and bolts from the steel collar.

Yes it does weaken it too, and I had to reinforce wrap the tip of the wooden pole with fiberglass.....

I have not done that to where I drilled for the perpendicular handle and web strap.

Some day I will order a custom Ribb!

i never understood the pole on the shoulder. tried it but just seemed like an awful position to put yourself in from an ergonomic standpoint. get a t-handle and be done with it. much easier on the body IMO

13 mins ago, bradW said:

i never understood the pole on the shoulder. tried it but just seemed like an awful position to put yourself in from an ergonomic standpoint. get a t-handle and be done with it. much easier on the body IMO

Brad even with the t handle one can work it from the shoulder to drive it deeper during the winter months when the ground is a little frozen Working a t handle from a boat is a little better as the boat becomes the rigid point . One thing I often wonder that when in the boat. Placing a hard rubber cupped insert against the boat that the handle would sit in while working it, might be better then just using the up and down motion I often see being used against the hull of the boat[ What say yee Rob on the boat ?.