Fish Monkey

Bourne Quahogs

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, Fish Monkey said:

Thank you, fishratz! Looks like I have a new hobby to learn this summer!

Keep at it, the rewards are great! The extra low tide this weekend allow me to reach areas of some big ones this morning!

KIMG0929.JPG

On 7/3/2019 at 9:36 PM, FishRatz said:

Good questions.

Basically, ANYWHERE that is NOT labeled otherwise..is FAIR GAME. (ok, give you a hint.....no big secret....the whole Mashnee dike beach is open on Mo beach side)

So, yes, that means whole shorelines which have no designation at all...you are NOT restricted to the shaded regions shown on maps. (which are mostly closed anyways)

Got a boat? Make landings. Wear good sandals to jump off into unknown bottoms.

Rec shellfish on Sunday/Wed/Sat., dawn to 6 PM!! (daylight savings hours)

BUT you are limited to only 1 peck PER WEEK

The big issue with the dike is parking. The whole dike is a No Parking zone. Unless you know anyone on the island, It's a long hike from legal parking. 

38 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

The big issue with the dike is parking. The whole dike is a No Parking zone. Unless you know anyone on the island, It's a long hike from legal parking. 

If you recall DJ, when were young the whole dike was open to parking. Swimming, fishing and shell fishing was fine. It wasn't until unscrupulous fishermen ruined it with litter and driving through the dunes did the ACOE close it diwn.

I do remember. One of my HS buddies had an uncle who had a seasonal site at that campground on MacArthur Blvd (geez, only a little more than 2 years and I already forgot the name, lol). We spent quite a few weekends on that beach.

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I do remember. One of my HS buddies had an uncle who had a seasonal site at that campground on MacArthur Blvd (geez, only a little more than 2 years and I already forgot the name, lol). We spent quite a few weekends on that beach.

Bayview Campground. Owned by Col. Gardner Nightingale.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

If you recall DJ, when were young the whole dike was open to parking. Swimming, fishing and shell fishing was fine. It wasn't until unscrupulous fishermen ruined it with litter and driving through the dunes did the ACOE close it diwn.

And considering the latest goings on nearby, this is sounding all too familiar. :squid:

What I don't understand about the dike road access closure, is it's man made...not natural habitat or geological.

It's my understanding that the residents of Mashnee island want to be exclusive and voiced the shut down and closure of a once popular restaurant.

Boat access is no issue

On 7/4/2019 at 7:19 AM, bradW said:

just follow BobG and Angler1 they knows all the good spots :laugh::laugh: 

Went 'hoggin today Brad, could'ent believe my eyes, is this him????? the legend himself or just somebody trying to copy him????   The backwards hat, scruffy beards long and white,cheap wrap around shades...……………….

DSC_0520.JPG

17 hours ago, b-ware said:

Went 'hoggin today Brad, could'ent believe my eyes, is this him????? the legend himself or just somebody trying to copy him????   The backwards hat, scruffy beards long and white,cheap wrap around shades...……………….

DSC_0520.JPG

could be...i know he's gotten pretty hairy over the years :laugh:

18 hours ago, b-ware said:

DSC_0520.JPG

:dismay:

On 7/6/2019 at 10:48 PM, bdowning said:

And considering the latest goings on nearby, this is sounding all too familiar. :squid:

Wouldn't be the first time that it was shut down. Those gates weren't there when I was a kid. Even as late at the 1980s, parking at the point would be shut down at sunset. The CoE truck would shine its hi-beams on the guys wading the mudflats until they came in and moved their vehicles to the RRB lot. 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, FishRatz said:

What I don't understand about the dike road access closure, is it's man made...not natural habitat or geological.

It's my understanding that the residents of Mashnee island want to be exclusive and voiced the shut down and closure of a once popular restaurant.

Boat access is no issue

The road is barely wide enough for 2-way traffic even with no cars parked along it. There's a 20 mph speed limit that no one observes--hell, I've broken it on a bicycle plenty of times, even without a tail wind. You'd need cops at both ends holding traffic up until the cars going the opposite way cleared, if parking was allowed. It could benefit the local economy, in one aspect, tho: tow companies could make a fortune pulling out cars that got stuck in the sand. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I gave it my first try today and got a couple dozen. I got 1 my first scrape and thought "cool this is easy" and then proceeded to get a total of 7 in about an hour. Then I watched a guy who got there when I did walk back to his truck with a full basket. I obviously went to where he was and did alot better. I should have been in the muck the whole time. The first area I was in was sandy. So I learned something. Now it's time to attempt some crazy clam pasta recipe my wife wants to try. My back hurts.

20190710_115830.jpg

Edited by Fish Monkey