Fish Monkey

Bourne Quahogs

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ive always wanted to try shellfishing, but have no experience and none of my friends do it. I took the plunge and bought myself a Ribb rake, basket, and gauge at Goose Hummock with some leftover gift cards. I then went to town hall and bought my Bourne shellfish permit. I go home to learn the regulations and confusion sets in. It looks like all of the areas I was looking forward to trying are closed for the summer. Are there any open areas for the summer season? I looked at the map online and it only confuses me with all the different area designations (what is a family area?) And to be clear, you can only shellfish on Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday? Thanks!

Edited by Fish Monkey

5 mins ago, Fish Monkey said:

Ive always wanted to try shellfishing, but have no experience and none of my friends do it. I took the plunge and bought myself a Ribb rake, basket, and gauge at Goose Hummock with some leftover gift cards. I then went to town hall and bought my Bourne shellfish permit. I go home to learn the regulations and confusion sets in. It looks like all of the areas I was looking forward to trying are closed for the summer. Are there any open areas for the summer season? I looked at the map online and it only confuses me with all the different area designations (what is a family area?) And to be clear, you can only shellfish on Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday? Thanks!

I’ve shellfished a few years in Wareham and yes it is very confusing. Summer time is the most limited. Although the town probably won’t admit it, it seems like they want to limit the impact of summertime visitors on their beds. 

It it is a great way to kill some time outdoors. But it is more of an winter activity for most “serious” shellfishermen. Hopefully some more experienced guys can help you sort out the confusion. But then again, nowadays it might be best to keep tight lipped or you could be seeing insta-face loaded with pics of guys showing off their bushels of quahogs!

Thanks, Pescador. I'm just looking for a new summertime activity. Fishing in the middle of the day is usually pointless. I dont see myself wading into the ocean in the middle of winter, so it's summer or nothing for me. Maybe I'll try blue crabbing.

..if you ever thought asking whereabouts for a fishing hole,  or shoreline access was too much info for others to disclose in public forums...good luck with the hogg'in.

Fish move...clams don't  

The town maps do indeed show where you are allowed to go.

Upon arrival, there are numerous signage posted along the high water beach, saying Open (Green) or Closed (Red).

Town places signs accordingly for the "Seasonal Closure" which coordinates with the provided maps, But the color shading/cross hatch for the maps is not always clear in the legend.

To boot, they often write descriptions for where the clam bed boundary stops "....to the seawall or street sign...." ect.

As for 'Family' areas, you are allowed to go there...its all fair game. (as far as I know, the only restrictions there are for commercial)

(EDIT)

Wow, I just downloaded the PDF Bourne shellfish map, there are way more places closed than I thought...

Map does show where several are open...there are a few. Hens Cove (outer), Windsor cove.

Basically, anything NOT otherwise labeled is open...and this is a lot of beach real estate.....

bourne_shellfish_area_map.pdf

Edited by FishRatz

25 mins ago, FishRatz said:

..if you ever thought asking whereabouts for a fishing hole,  or shoreline access was too much info for others to disclose in public forums...good luck with the hogg'in.

Fish move...clams don't  

The town maps do indeed show where you are allowed to go.

Upon arrival, there are numerous signage posted along the high water beach, saying Open (Green) or Closed (Red).

Town places signs accordingly for the "Seasonal Closure" which coordinates with the provided maps, But the color shading/cross hatch for the maps is not always clear in the legend.

To boot, they often write descriptions for where the clam bed boundary stops "....to the seawall or street sign...." ect.

As for 'Family' areas, you are allowed to go there...its all fair game. (as far as I know, the only restrictions there are for commercial)

(EDIT)

Wow, I just downloaded the PDF Bourne shellfish map, there are way more places closed than I thought...

Map does show where several are open...there are a few. Hens Cove (outer), Windsor cove.

Basically, anything NOT otherwise labeled is open...and this is a lot of beach real estate.....

bourne_shellfish_area_map.pdf

Yeah I was shocked too when I saw that basically everywhere I go with my family was closed. Yeah, sorry about the whole "asking where to go" thing. I know it's a no-no for fishing, but I wasnt sure if shellfish spot burning was a thing since you're only allowed to go to certain spots anyway. I appreciate the replies, though. 

Fishratz, can you clarify "Basically, anything NOT otherwise labeled is open" for me? Does that mean an area on the map with no shading/designation whatsoever is fair game? I was under the impression that you could only go to designated areas.

Also, still looking for clarification on what days you are allowed to shellfish. One section says Sunday-Saturday, another says Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

I didn't know I needed to be a lawyer to dig for clams.

Thanks again!

Edited by Fish Monkey

1 hour ago, Fish Monkey said:

Yeah I was shocked too when I saw that basically everywhere I go with my family was closed. Yeah, sorry about the whole "asking where to go" thing. I know it's a no-no for fishing, but I wasnt sure if shellfish spot burning was a thing since you're only allowed to go to certain spots anyway. I appreciate the replies, though. 

Fishratz, can you clarify "Basically, anything NOT otherwise labeled is open" for me? Does that mean an area on the map with no shading/designation whatsoever is fair game? I was under the impression that you could only go to designated areas.

Also, still looking for clarification on what days you are allowed to shellfish. One section says Sunday-Saturday, another says Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

I didn't know I needed to be a lawyer to dig for clams.

Thanks again!

Good questions.

Basically, ANYWHERE that is NOT labeled otherwise..is FAIR GAME. (ok, give you a hint.....no big secret....the whole Mashnee dike beach is open on Mo beach side)

So, yes, that means whole shorelines which have no designation at all...you are NOT restricted to the shaded regions shown on maps. (which are mostly closed anyways)

Got a boat? Make landings. Wear good sandals to jump off into unknown bottoms.

Rec shellfish on Sunday/Wed/Sat., dawn to 6 PM!! (daylight savings hours)

BUT you are limited to only 1 peck PER WEEK

Edited by FishRatz

Thank you, fishratz! Exactly what I was looking for. Sorry for all the questions. The last thing I want to do is unknowingly break the rules. I had no idea shellfishing was so restrictive. Sunrise to sunset I get. 6pm? Weird. Yes I have a boat and a kayak. Looks like I have a new hobby to learn this summer!

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

. (ok, give you a hint.....no big secret....the whole Mashnee dike beach is open on Mo beach side)

Actually half of that side is closed last time I checked. Halfway up the island to the island is closed. Before it on the mo beach side isnt. The canal side Is where all my buddies have been getting theirs but you have to go up to your chest.

45 mins ago, bradW said:

just follow BobG and Angler1 they knows all the good spots :laugh::laugh: 

Not looking for the good spots, just the legal ones. I'll learn on my own.

47 mins ago, bradW said:

just follow BobG and Angler1 they knows all the good spots :laugh::laugh: 

After scratching sea worms and sand eels for bait over many years one does get an education on where to find legal hogs to eat from the various bays and inlets. Along the way you often find another fishermen who has done the same thing or close to it that gives up a few of the secrets to make it easier, For that I must give Bob G and Rob Curtis a thank you. Be fore I begin I must ask Fish Monkey if he ever served our country, for if you have I will put you in a better place to scratch and explain

55 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

After scratching sea worms and sand eels for bait over many years one does get an education on where to find legal hogs to eat from the various bays and inlets. Along the way you often find another fishermen who has done the same thing or close to it that gives up a few of the secrets to make it easier, For that I must give Bob G and Rob Curtis a thank you. Be fore I begin I must ask Fish Monkey if he ever served our country, for if you have I will put you in a better place to scratch and explain

Does 6 years in the Army Reserve count? To be upfront, I was never deployed. Any help would certainly be appreciated!

21 mins ago, Fish Monkey said:

Does 6 years in the Army Reserve count? To be upfront, I was never deployed. Any help would certainly be appreciated!

If you were honorably discharged DD214 form ? It should count. It will make you able to purchase  a shell fish permit in any town or even multiple ones for the cost of the resident price . The best Value for your money is Barnstable, Hogs and Oysters , razor clams .

In Bourne you will also need to buy the parking decal, unless you were  given a disability associated with the discharge then you would be covered under another ma general law that allows you to park free. If that is not the case you will most likely need one to park when you scratch.  

ONe thing make sure you have a nice ring around your basket or a small boogy board with a hole to place the basket into. I find that works the best along with a three wheeler I take and put the basket once full to carry all of the weight .

I can carry two bushel in mine , which occasionally I do when my friend comes along with his basket/ While I was younger that was not a problem, but not any more.

The last few summers the closures have stayed the same. It really doesn't change that much. Phinney's was an exception last year. Plenty of open water in Bourne to shellfish. Because you have a rec. permit you can fish anywhere in town other than closed areas. Just remember no rakes over 12 inches wide in a family area. 

As Carl said just be careful with the parking as the BPD are writing tickets. Still plenty of places to park that doesn't need a parking permit.

Thanks Rob, I wasnt aware of the rake size restriction, although mine is under 12 inches. And angler #1, Carl, thanks for the idea. Yes honorable and yes dd-214. I'll probably learn here in town this year and then venture to barnstable next year. Thank you everyone for clarifying the rules for me!