Southcoastphil

Fishing the Ditch Question: Any Trolls use diamond jigs with sluggos or rigged eels in the Ditch?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

If you want to kill casting distance. Metal is more than enough to catch. Why add anything...... rigged eels dont belong on the canal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know me... I throw anything for an hour!!

BTW... fallfish are a good herring imitation :D

20190608_101358.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Phil for jigging or swimming? Have you used this method? 

For swimming either of them.  I've only tried it once with riggies last weekend.  Didn't seem to hang up as much.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The use of metal, no matter if it is a diamond jig, Katmaster or Hopkins they can be very effective in the catching department.

Single hooks only . Worked slow or fast, mostly slow . A tied single 7/0 or 8/0 swinging free. Match the bait and your good to go Look for the sandy places in the canal to drag them on the bottom or the beach where a hungry fish will pick it out of the sand

Attaching smaller eels fresh dead or even alive will also produce Min size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not exactly what you had in mind. I rigged these up last fall but was only able to put a few fish on them last season. I really dont see that they offer an advantage to rubber.

20181006_160007.jpg.6c16ee2e9dba79de24d415bf07c03d04.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 8:39 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Lead heads and rubber  tails are the way to go. I think the diamond and sluggo are a beach thing. Kick up some sand.

 

^^^^Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 7:18 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Probably not exactly what you had in mind. I rigged these up last fall but was only able to put a few fish on them last season. I really dont see that they offer an advantage to rubber.

20181006_160007.jpg.6c16ee2e9dba79de24d415bf07c03d04.jpg

The advantages are scent and ability to get them down into holes. I will fish live eels at slack along some seams and rips but it’s a short window over there until you need weight because of the current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say you rigged them , did you enclose them with salt in a plastic container, that is where the secret lies into having the fish detect the scent as Sandbars speaks off.  The salt not only draws out the scent , but it also helps to keep it . As you use a riggy and it does not produce over a little time, you remove it from the line , place it back in the salt brine and restring another one. That is why is it important to have 4 or 5 in the the container keeping the scent in an active mode on the eels. Do not be afraid to change it every 15 or so minutes unless you are into fish :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

You say you rigged them , did you enclose them with salt in a plastic container, that is where the secret lies into having the fish detect the scent as Sandbars speaks off.  The salt not only draws out the scent , but it also helps to keep it . As you use a riggy and it does not produce over a little time, you remove it from the line , place it back in the salt brine and restring another one. That is why is it important to have 4 or 5 in the the container keeping the scent in an active mode on the eels. Do not be afraid to change it every 15 or so minutes unless you are into fish :howdy:

yes after rigging them up they have all been stored in a salt brine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

yes after rigging them up they have all been stored in a salt brine.

Sheesh, Carl!  

 

What else would he have done?  

 

He learned from you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, fondew said:

If you want to kill casting distance. Metal is more than enough to catch. Why add anything...... rigged eels dont belong on the canal

Fondew to say that using a rigged eel in an attempt to obtain distance is one thing , however to say they do not belong on the canal is another . Keeping an open mind when fishing the canal is most likely your best way in someday actually catching the fish of your dreams . 

To understand that big fish inhabit the closer shore line holes and believe you when i tell you if you fish the canal long enough you will never learn them all , but obtain enough knowledge to be productive. Most fish of size are not caught out in the deeper depths of the canal, but with in short distant from the shore line, especially during the stealth hours . So my friend keep an open mind , be unafraid to try something different and the fish gods will reward you if you have the patients to persist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.