coolhandfluke

fresh scallops

Rate this topic

117 posts in this topic

yesterday had a taste for them.   called our local seafood house on river road.  yes we have them.  how fresh I ask. just were delivered this morning. we are still putting them in 1lb bags as we speak.    $16.00 lb.

grab 2lbs for dinner.    little bit of butter and olive oil and salt. 4 minutes a side and they were so enjoyable.    12 scallops in each pound.   I have six with me for lunch if I can wait that long.

nice little treat as I don't have them at home very often.

who can explain the difference between a wet scallop and a dry scallop.

I realize this is the Tavern and not Cooking yer catch so let's watch this chit show progress

Wet scallop has been previously frozen and is defrosted.  Dry scallop had never been frozen.  

When my bud worked the scallop boats I'd have him save me all the peach colored ones.  :drool:

4 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Wet scallop has been previously frozen and is defrosted.  Dry scallop had never been frozen.  

When my bud worked the scallop boats I'd have him save me all the peach colored ones.  :drool:

well you chit me not, you learn something every day. I'll hope to never buy a wet scallop again

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

wait, did he say 4 minutes a side?

yes.  am I wrong ?  I started eating them at 6 minutes out of the pan but still some pinkish in the middle.   whats your best method ?  I will always try something others say is better.

26 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Wet scallop has been previously frozen and is defrosted

Not exactly.

Wet scallop has been soaked in a phosphate solution to add weight. Dry's are fresh right outta the shell. 

7 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Not exactly.

Wet scallop has been soaked in a phosphate solution to add weight. Dry's are fresh right outta the shell. 

This is correct and the solution makes them next to impossible to sear properly. 

23 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

yes.  am I wrong ?  I started eating them at 6 minutes out of the pan but still some pinkish in the middle.   whats your best method ?  I will always try something others say is better.

seems like double time to me.....I don't time them, but I do them in my cast iron, hot as hell....no way more than two minutes per side id guess. 

I can see terri...with a karate kid bandana on..... smashing a scallop on his forehead and sucking the meat out....one handed, with a salt life beer in the other hand. 

17 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

i have eaten them fresh out of the sea raw. They taste great that way. 

Did you catch them? 

They’re tricky little guys. 

B3C4D7D3-7FEB-45F8-9664-BB2A84D3A075.gif.f2383214a7b95d2d9a0efb40dd83662c.gif

27 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Not exactly.

:shrug:

It's what I was told at restarant depot.  When they run out of fresh "dry" scallops, they break out the frozen ones, defrost them and put them in the case, change the label from dry to wet.  

24 mins ago, giggyfish said:

This is correct and the solution makes them next to impossible to sear properly. 

You can put some course salt on them about 10-15 min. before cooking to draw out the liquid and get a good sear on them.