4th of July at the canal

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Kones1 said:

This site has helped to ruin many fishing spots but none more so than that canal. It should be closed to fishing. 

Close the canal? Should they close Block island, Montauk, and Cuttyhunk too?

Block Island and Montauk are natural, the canal is man made. It forms an unnatural fish corral and makes it way too easy to exploit. What happens there is enuff to warrant a closure. The population of fish that are left should be protected until they rebuild not raped til all are gone. Common sense. Anyone can catch there. Anyone 

Advanced tech has led to the "anyone can catch there". 

Longcast everything, then the damn sebiles, and savages. The fish don't stand a chance.

So easy and the millenials make it even easier. What's the point? 

Close it down, please sign the petition on change .org

No New Bridges necessary, Fill it in

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Kones1,

You are entitled to your opinion, but as moderator of this site, so am I. So be advised. In the last two years, and possibly more, there have been no canal reports on the Ma Forum that I'm aware of. 

In spite of incredible massacres taking place, Ma Forum nembers have shown remarkable restraint in keeping things quiet and respectful.  So point your accusatory elsewhere and not here please. :)

I agree with Bob, this site while about sharing info is not in the same realm as the facebook sites.

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

Block Island and Montauk are natural, the canal is man made. It forms an unnatural fish corral and makes it way too easy to exploit. What happens there is enuff to warrant a closure. The population of fish that are left should be protected until they rebuild not raped til all are gone. Common sense. Anyone can catch there. Anyone 

The canal is one of the places we have to fish locally in MA, why dont the Montauk and Block Island crowd fish their own waters. The canal cant take this multi-state fishing pressure, and by coming here to fish you are not only destroying the canal but also the population of fish in your own waters

17 hours ago, bob_G said:

Overcrowding and bad fishermen behavior is nothing new on the canal. It's been going on for generations. Why do you think the ACOE installed all those gates in their parking areas?

In the late 1960s many parking areas were open to daylight hours only.  If it wasn't for a year of hard work by my sainted mother, and the help of Sen. Ted Kennedy, it might still be closed today. 

Yup, we were both around for the mudflats s*** show in the early 1980s. The only thing missing from Area 51 is Johnny Williams yelling above everyone else that he's going to have them all arrested for trespassing. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

3 hours ago, fondew said:

Canal bikes are cheating too. Just ride and see who's hooked up then cast over their head. That's the Gibbs way. Haha 

I'm trying to picture Stan on a bike in my head, and I can't help laughing. :laugh: 

That group just got too big. At one time the numbers were capped, and new applicants had to wait for an opening. And now I see they even have monthly awards. Just what the resounce needs. And I realised that I'm wearing one of their long sleeved T's as I type. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Should have monthly awards for helping the canal not hurting it. I always felt they had a big canal presence, and could've at least tried to help the current situation. Too bad. Gibbs tourney members spreading canal etiquette and catch and release. Imagine that

22 hours ago, gdc23 said:

I would assume a couple people running the facebook fishing groups are profiting handsomely while destroying a natural resource.

Nothing natural about the canal.  It’s a man made fish funnel. 

7 hours ago, fondew said:

Advanced tech has led to the "anyone can catch there". 

Longcast everything, then the damn sebiles, and savages. The fish don't stand a chance.

So easy and the millenials make it even easier. What's the point? 

Close it down, please sign the petition on change .org

No New Bridges necessary, Fill it in

So pete what do you fish with ? A old newel and a honey lami throwing only bait?or do you have the newest, and better stuff ?