FlapShell

Best size surf rod

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Wish it was easier to look at surf rods in the stores around socal. I am trying to pick out a rod in the 10' to 11' range and I am having a really hard time doing this without being able to pick up those rods in person and get a really good idea of how they feel and balance!

I'm 6'4" tall and my most versatile rod for fishing from shore, targeting larger species of fish, is 10 1/2 footer. :)

Best advice I can give is to try a few casts on all of your buddies set-ups before you drop the $ on a new one.

17 hours ago, TBYRD said:

I'm 6'4" tall and my most versatile rod for fishing from shore, targeting larger species of fish, is 10 1/2 footer. :)

Best advice I can give is to try a few casts on all of your buddies set-ups before you drop the $ on a new one.

This is the best advice that was given on this forum.....

Such a tough question. I like to keep my setups as light as I can get away with. Seems more fun that way to me. With smaller to medium surf and relatively calm conditions i will generally always opt for my 9’6 frontier and VS150, thirty lb braid. 

If surf is bigger i will bump up to a Vs200 and a 10’6 rod, especially for top water to help with lure contact and wave clearance. I also grab this size setup for snag and drop on the bunker. 

If i had to choose the best length for both worlds I’d go with 10 foot all around. I have one in my arsenal but it doesn’t throw 1 oz’s well so i don’t use it as much. Need to get another one to fish lighter stuff. 

I am also a bigger dude @ 6’5 +. Never liked nor felt the need to fish the rod between my legs. I like to rest the rod butt against my hip and on my thigh. This is another reason I don’t like to go over 10.5. 

So this was just a long way of me giving my thoughts on 10 foot even being my all around go to choice and i wanted to explain why. 

It all depends on your height, what you plan on using the rod for, and how you fight a fish. 

I'm 6' 2" and I like an 11' rod when fishing eels and chunks.

10' 6" rod for plugs.

The rod is always between my legs so I can get a good hook set, quickly fight a fish, and get it to my feet. The only time it's not between my legs is when I am fishing a topwater plug like a Doc.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:40 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

I've had em all, 9, 10, 11, 12 and everything between. I think my absolute favorite is 9'6" overall.

I agree with this.  I found 9’6”. Yo be the best combination of weight, ability to work pencil

poppers, ability to cast for long periods. Having said that, I purchased a 10’  Black Hole Striper Special and it is without question the best rod I’ve ever used for the fishing I do. That includes other Black Hole rods that I own. I think this is an exception to the rule. I’ve many other 10’ rods and generally I prefer 9’6”.