FlapShell

Best size surf rod

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

56 mins ago, FlapShell said:

Is the 10 footer going to cast out much further? Or is the 9 footer enough to reach, say 75 yards out?

75 easy if not more 10’ you get where I’m going with this. but you have to put wind/line ect into the picture 

I always fished 7, 8, 9, 11+

I had my first custom built a few years ago and I told the builder I wanted a 9’. 

He he talked me into the 10’ and I’m thrilled with it. Now I find myself using the 8’ or 10’

2 hours ago, FlapShell said:

Is the 10 footer going to cast out much further? Or is the 9 footer enough to reach, say 75 yards out?

That has much, much more to do with your casting ability, the line you're using, the type of lure, how well the particular blank casts that particular lure weight, etc. than the rod's being 9 or 10 feet long.  A lot of people don't even have the strength or timing ability to effectively cast a longer rod and will cast a shorter one farther because of it.  Lots of variables man....

Also, the fish are usually at your feet anyway.

I'm pretty happy using 10 footers for most of my work. I have used 9 footers in the past and I've done well with them too. Unless transport is an issue I would go 10.

i love my 11' .enjoy throwing big plugs long distances haha. also the most versatile for me. but lately i been fishing my 9' 6'' the most and dont regret not having the 11' with me

It is hard to tell

Every situation is different and every person is different.

What may works excellent for you with 10' other guy may accomplish same , maybe better, 9' or 11'.

Best way to find out is to practice with both.

Generally, for Sound you may don't need anything bigger than 10', unless you want to reach CT.

I would also like to add length is only half the equation.  My GSB1081L (9') is much different than my 9" BT1083m and the 9' John Skinner rod

Go with whatever is most comfortable for you. Bring your reel to a shop and test out balance and feel. Too many factors come into play with casting distance. The general idea is that a longer rod will get you more distance, shorter rod less distance. 

A 9 footer Is very versatile. I have a 9ft st croix mojo that has put in work everywhere, including the canal. I have found that a 9ft can handle pretty much anything a 10ft can and makes smaller fish more fun. 

You will be fine with either one 

Good Luck! 

A 9 or 9'6" with as light a reel as you can afford in say a 5000 size is to me the most comfortable to use. I use light braid like 10-15lb fireline and can reach out to just past 120 yards with a 2 ounce metal if need be.

My all around rod is a 9' honey lami bt1083. To me it's the perfect size for jetty and rock hopping applications as well as the beach. It's a metal rocket launcher and a pencil popping machine.