FlapShell

Best size surf rod

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I in deciding between a 9 ft and a 10 ft surf rod for plugging. Which one would be a better fit? I like the 9 footer bc it’s easy to handle, but I like the 10 footer bc it feels better in my hands. What fishing circumstances would you choose one over the other? Which one is better for jetty fishing? How much further is the 10 ft going to cast? If I’m mostly fishing the shores in the northeast, not mountauk or the cape cod canal, is the 9footer enough or should I go up to the 10 footer to cover more situations? 

Flap , I read other posts of yours and I know where you fish. Imo the 9 is best. 10 foot to me is an in between useless size. The difference is more apparent if you jump to an 11. Jetty fishing is best done with a short 9 rod too. I fish from ct shore up to the cape. No canal. The 9 can do pretty much do all of it. 

6 hours ago, FlapShell said:

I in deciding between a 9 ft and a 10 ft surf rod for plugging. Which one would be a better fit? I like the 9 footer bc it’s easy to handle, but I like the 10 footer bc it feels better in my hands. What fishing circumstances would you choose one over the other? Which one is better for jetty fishing? How much further is the 10 ft going to cast? If I’m mostly fishing the shores in the northeast, not mountauk or the cape cod canal, is the 9footer enough or should I go up to the 10 footer to cover more situations? 

I’d have to agree with Redfin as a 9’ is very versatile if I had to choose one surf rod it would probably be a 9’.  except I do use a 10’ to work certain plugs like pencil poppers sub surface metals. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

got a 7'6'', a 9' and a 12'....the 9' get the most use followed by the 7'6''. i fish the beach and rocks. the 7'6'' cast lighter lure almost as far as the 9' in my case....albeit with lighter line.

keep in mind that if you fish rocks and get a good rod, shorter rods make it easier to grab the leader witout having the tip straight up, possibly breaking.

it really depends on what you intend to fish and the weight/shape your trowing. i tend to like light tackle even when there big fishes around. this way i can fish longer and am more ''mobile''

Edited by jerome gagnon

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, FlapShell said:

Is the 10 footer going to cast out much further? Or is the 9 footer enough to reach, say 75 yards out?

My 9' 4 piece St Croix Triumph travel rod with SFV 4500 can cast 80-90 yards, and my ODM DNA 9' with VR50 can cast 90-100 yards, both with 2oz of weight.

Edited by JK47