jvisconti

Kayak anchor

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, quick question about kayak anchors. I have a 10ft sit-on-top that I use in a brackish lake with a max depth of about 25ft. I'm looking to pick up a small anchor to help fishing but I don't want to haul around something too heavy. Total weight of me + the kayak + gear is just about 300lbs. What is the best weight to use?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, BluesCruiser said:

rubber coated 3 pound weight 

42537563-red-rubber-coated-dumbbell-in-hand-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

A grapnel anchor will cost <$10 more and work WAY better in any kind of current or wind.

15 hours ago, kype said:

or buy a drift sock.

Drift sock and anchor are totally different tools, but a 3lb grapnel is what is use also and it works well.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, BluesCruiser said:

If the current is that strong do you really want to anchor.. a kayak

If it's like where I fish it's not about current.  It's hard to stay on a spot when it's windy

I like a HD Poly mesh bag.  ( Think Heavy duty Onion bag) I get mine from the commercial guys who sell Little Necks. I store it on the boat with a 25' coil of line and a couple of carabiners inside. It weighs nothing and stores small.  When needed, I fill it with the appropriate number of rocks from the shoreline and attach the line to close it up.  When done, just empty the bag. Works for me.