joem

Western MA this weekend

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, joem said:

The fish were there but not interested in anything I threw at them. It’s a new type of fishing to me so I enjoyed the experience nonetheless. Sight casting to a trout while wading was particularly fun, if a bit frustrating.

I really appreciate the advice Thom, and everyone else above.

That river can be amazingly frustrating: lockjaw; take and spit; inspecting but not taking; eating flies all around your presentation; etc.    

Those are my home waters and easily half the time I walk away I feel like I have no earthly idea what I’m doing.

I wanted to contribute before your trip but aside from being able to recommend some interesting places I’m shrugging and saying “your guess is probably better than mine”.

We’re in a difficult phase of our relationship right now me and the Deerfield. :argue:

Keep trying though. When you’re making a return trip post about it and I’ll PM you about some spots. When I tell you how to fish them, do the opposite. :mad:

I havent fished there in years and even then mostly in the spring but first thing i noticed is that water level makes a huge difference, espec within a mile of the dam. More than once id be there in high water and it was skunk city. When they reduced the flow and water level visibly dropped, suddenly the trout would reveal themselves and the bite greatly improved. They were there all along, but were hunkered down until the flow decreased.