Western MA this weekend

Rate this topic

joem

I’ll be in western MA this weekend near C&R trout areas. Is it a waste of time bringing light spinning tackle to these streams? Thinking of spinners, trout spoons, and float-and-fly presentations, but I’m not sure whether these will work in potentially fast, shallow water.

Edited by joem
Grammar

1 min ago, joem said:

Deerfield. Didn’t want to be too specific but it’s a big river.

Spoons and spinners should work great, bubble and fly, not so much.  Swap out the trebles for single  dressed siwash hooks to reduce snags and you should be good to go...…….

Bring the spinner and have fun. Check out the fly shop up on the Deerfield.They should be able to give you up to date reports.

Edited by otiscop
Spelling

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. 

Roostertail for me, the blade will spin at a slower speed with less movement through the water than any other spinner that I have tried and often the slower retrieve is a killer... They all will work at times, but that slow speed often makes a big difference. Crushing barbs is good advice!

If you’re fishing between Florida and Shelburne, the water will move slower in the AM and late afternoon.  they release water mid-morning through the afternoon.  certain sections are C & R, some are not.

Member Nantucket Anglers Club

Some places are fly fishing only, no bait or fish in possession.  I want to say below Bardwells's Ferry place there are no restrictions.  It might even be below Berkshire East, been a few years since I've fished out that way.  The abstracts should list the specific areas

4 hours ago, Thom T said:

Joe how did you make out on the deerfield over the weekend

The fish were there but not interested in anything I threw at them. It’s a new type of fishing to me so I enjoyed the experience nonetheless. Sight casting to a trout while wading was particularly fun, if a bit frustrating.

I really appreciate the advice Thom, and everyone else above.