Mike Oliver

Declining Striper Resource

Rate this topic

153 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We had our usual three weeks last week in May first two weeks of June in Cape Cod

We had a good time marred by poor fishing. Every Fly Boy and Gal I spoke with had the same story of low numbers of fish and small fish compared even to last year which itself was not good.

Bait was not in evidence most places I fished. When it was it was not plentiful.

Bass were missing in many of my usual spots.

Night time was the get out of jail card but bigger fish still very hard to find.

This is a step change and only those who are illiterate can’t see the writing written in the sand.

Sure big Stripers are being caught in the Canal. The Brit team who fish gear did ok.

But for a time there will always be big fish caught as a fishery declines. It can mask the truth for those who do not seek it.

I have been fishing for Stripers for twenty two years  and have observed a decline year on year for the last ten of those years. The last three has seen an acceleration of that decline.

You lost your fishery once and it is abundantly clear that if the status quo is allowed to continue that you will lose it again. Recovery cannot be assumed either just because it did after the first moratorium.

So we have choices put our heads into the sand and do nothing but moan and wail about the poor fishing but still allocate time to that activity or give time to fight for proper protection and long term management of the Striper resource.

Talking shop amongst ourselves will not cut it.  There is a need for motivated and properly funded team to take the case to your Government.

Who is prepared to be apart of that. Will you as a Recreational Fisher be prepared to put your hand into your pocket and deep,y to support and fund the effort.

Be assured the Comms and others with a commercial interest will fight to retain the current situation. They will make representation and if like U.K. Commercials will fund legal teams to present their case. These guys are organised  unlike the Recs. That’s why they are so strong and used to getting their way irrespective of what the science is saying.

Collectively  we are bigger . Politically we should be more powerful as we have more votes.

We should be financially bigger due to bigger numbers.

But just like David and Goliath the smaller guy will win if he has the strongest will.

We must not let that happen

We have to take action. It needs to be Coordinated it needs to be consistant in its message and science. It needs a strong leader and a good team.

Who is going to step up to the plate.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Boy I wish I had a good answer for this, or some optimism.  Considering the overall 'me first' attitude of the average American coupled with the need to coordinate this effort across most of the Atlantic coast. . . well, I think I'll focus on something easy to catch, like steelhead.

Oakman

Anything of value never comes for free or is easy. That is no reason to run away from the problem.

This is the reason the Guys with a commercial interest tend to win as the Recs can’t be bothered,

Sadly the industry which benefits greatly from Anglers money never do much of anything. Go figure there is a huge threat to their  business. Where is their vision. 

Every  fight every journey starts with a first step. Having made the first the second is mush easier. Then momentum is gained. After that much determination is need as these battles are long and had.

Why should the bad guys prevail. Why should we feel we are helpless and it’s a lost cause before we even enter the fray.

Thats defeatism.

I have experience of this in Europe.

We have  a stark choice do nothing which is the easy option and lose the Bass or fight and with the objective of winning.

Whats it to be.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

in my mind, one of the solutions would be total peer driven catch and release.

an example would be many western trout streams.  The stream I fish in Colorado allowed the angler to kill fish...however....in 20 years of fishing I never saw a dead fish. Why?  Because you’d be basically run out of town if you ever killed one. At the least you’d lose all your drinking buddies, the C and R culture has enveloped all the good fisheries out west.

unfortunately the ignorant selfish east coast striper fishermen and guides are to stupid to see the writing on the wall and adopt this practice.

there....I told it like it is!! 

Obviously this doesn’t apply to all...

just cause the state says you can ...

don’t make it right.

Edited by bobbrown
More

I quit the Chesapeake because ALL literally ALL the fish I caught were undersized and had myco bacteria all along the flanks, also each fish was undersized and elongated.  It was a dying fishery for a number of reasons, commercial not the only cause.  There are several distinct areas that need change.

State water quality is not unified nor are the slot values,  PA for example which feeds the Susqy which feeds the Bay is always in violation of its own clean water standards because of big Agriculture.

Omega Protein in VA which has deep pockets similar to those of big sugar in FL overharvests forage species for a variety of products that we all use and want.

This fishery will disappear until a moratorium will be put down , and only then will anything be done and it wont matter, wait another decade, rinse repeat, old sharpies on here know the 80's (i wasnt fishing then).

Ive stopped fishing for striper unless I am on the beach for vacation and its a secondary thought.  

Hello Mike

Your post makes me chuckle in a sad way. I’ve witnessed striped bass fishing going down hill for years 

My fellow fisherman are a bunch of hypocrites. They have that TWINKLE in their eye when they catch a bass. 

I dumped them all and I am going back to fishing by myself again 

i am 100% catch and release with 77 tag returns. I tag for the ALS

Maybe with you being a fly fishing dignitary something might get done

But I doubt it 

Keep up the good work Mike 

Tom

Tom

I have witnessed the Uk Bass fisheries destruction over fifty years. The fight is still going on. But if we had not enjoined there would be no fishery left at all.

I have only fished Stripers since I started to go to Montauk aged 45. I am now close to 68. I never saw the fishery in the boom years prior to the moretorium. I have nothing to make a comparison with. I only know from my own experience that the fishery has been in decline from that  base and that it has accelerated over the last five years.  I stopped going to Montauk around five years ago. My catches plummeted from hundreds over three weeks to just twenty in my final year.

Cape Cod seemed less effected but is now worse. Same fish needed to populate it.

Nothing will happen to change the status quo unless the Recs get off their  arses and fight.

Sure there are tough opponents to overcome. But if you want to secure the resource you have to fight. Not give in because it’s too hard right from the start.

I will support the effort to from the UK. But realistically the lead needs to be an American assisted by a well motivated and well funded team.

Thankfully I would never qualify as a dignitary in any field. The establishment and me will never be on the same side. LoL.

I don’t touch my fore lock to no one.

I am not the only one with this message.

Whats it to be the easy option or fight.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Dear Mike from away.

I live here and have fished for over sixty eight years on bass.

It was the pocket change for all the local guys after work.

I've fished rec and commercial but gave up commercial last year because of the size of -most- of the fish.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say-BUT-your leaving out the reason they won't recover.

That's right they won't recover because the fish that don't go through the canal go around the outer cape and run into 30-50,000 hungry grey seals on Monomoy Island.  

These seals have been Increasing since the 70's and are in the bays and 5-10 miles off shore.

Our ***** government will not touch the animal rights people because they don't know how many there are as apposed to fishermen who are licensed and counted.

Sable Island in Canada has the same problem and was going to get rid of 30-50,000 grey seals until a tree hugger group stepped in.

Ifeel we need to have our representatives make some changes by killing off seals.

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

We had our usual three weeks last week in May first two weeks of June in Cape Cod

We had a good time marred by poor fishing. Every Fly Boy and Gal I spoke with had the same story of low numbers of fish and small fish compared even to last year which itself was not good.

Bait was not in evidence most places I fished. When it was it was not plentiful.

Bass were missing in many of my usual spots.

Night time was the get out of jail card but bigger fish still very hard to find.

This is a step change and only those who are illiterate can’t see the writing written in the sand.

Sure big Stripers are being caught in the Canal. The Brit team who fish gear did ok.

But for a time there will always be big fish caught as a fishery declines. It can mask the truth for those who do not seek it.

I have been fishing for Stripers for twenty two years  and have observed a decline year on year for the last ten of those years. The last three has seen an acceleration of that decline.

You lost your fishery once and it is abundantly clear that if the status quo is allowed to continue that you will lose it again. Recovery cannot be assumed either just because it did after the first moratorium.

So we have choices put our heads into the sand and do nothing but moan and wail about the poor fishing but still allocate time to that activity or give time to fight for proper protection and long term management of the Striper resource.

Talking shop amongst ourselves will not cut it.  There is a need for motivated and properly funded team to take the case to your Government.

Who is prepared to be apart of that. Will you as a Recreational Fisher be prepared to put your hand into your pocket and deep,y to support and fund the effort.

Be assured the Comms and others with a commercial interest will fight to retain the current situation. They will make representation and if like U.K. Commercials will fund legal teams to present their case. These guys are organised  unlike the Recs. That’s why they are so strong and used to getting their way irrespective of what the science is saying.

Collectively  we are bigger . Politically we should be more powerful as we have more votes.

We should be financially bigger due to bigger numbers.

But just like David and Goliath the smaller guy will win if he has the strongest will.

We must not let that happen

We have to take action. It needs to be Coordinated it needs to be consistant in its message and science. It needs a strong leader and a good team.

Who is going to step up to the plate.

Mike

You bring up some very good points.  I suggest you google the site below.  These guys get it and are trying to fix the nonsense that brought us here once again.

saltwaterguidesassociation

Edited by jps1010
removed link

22 mins ago, oldgoat said:

No wonder why Frank Daignault spent 20 years on the Cape 

look at all the reasons for the decline. All contributing to some degree...... Many issues. 

Very few will get involved, organize or truly support any effort. So many other issues which need attention in life before focusing on fish. Those who administer the great plans and are the stewards of these precious resources count on us all being too busy to spend time and give attention to anything.

The fishing was much better during the moratorium than it is now.

jps1010, thanks for the connection!  I just read through most of the website, signed up and donated.  A small first step but this organization seems staffed by some top notch fellows and have their eyes on the goings on.

Google them up and give it a read:

American Saltwater Guides Association

1 hour ago, jps1010 said:

You bring up some very good points.  I suggest you google the site below.  These guys get it and are trying to fix the nonsense that brought us here once again.

saltwaterguidesassociation

Thanks for the link.

Mike

2 hours ago, oldgoat said:

Dear Mike from away.

I've fished rec and commercial but gave up commercial last year because of the size of -most- of the fish.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say-BUT-your leaving out the reason they won't recover.

That's right they won't recover because the fish that don't go through the canal go around the outer cape and run into 30-50,000 hungry grey seals on Monomoy Island.  

These seals have been Increasing since the 70's and are in the bays and 5-10 miles off shore.

Our ***** government will not touch the animal rights people because they don't know how many there are as apposed to fishermen who are licensed and counted.

Sable Island in Canada has the same problem and was going to get rid of 30-50,000 grey seals until a tree hugger group stepped in.

Ifeel we need to have our representatives make some changes by killing off seals.

Old Goat

Thanks for your reply. The seals are a problem. One which is local to where they base themselves. I have seen their population grow on the Cape during the last ten years I have been fishing The Cape.

They are part of the problem but I think by far the greatest problem is laying at the door of man and pure greed with little regard to the sustainability of the resource.

The seal problem could be solved but that would not alone ensure the saftey of the Bass stocks.

All user groups have to look both inward and outward if we are to make progress. Many will not do that so we have to force change and get new legislation onto the books.

As Recs we need to have a very concise message and plan.

Rights of man have to be secondary to the resource itself. This is key.

Mike

The evidence is persuasive Mike. As is your call to action. But we anglers aren't well organized, and never have been. Want to save a cormorant? RSPB or Audubon call on huge memberships and massive lobbying power. I never understood the disparity with anglers. Still don't.

We can all sign petitions and make donations. Good. That's a start. But there needs to be a unifying platform, or at least connected platforms where numbers can grow along with political power. What's the relationship between SOL and the Association above, or Stripers Forever? (My ignorance.)

This site is such a platform. Maybe a word with the bosses to see if they're up for a call to action? Maybe there would be willing helpers to pitch in to start a campaign?

I agree. We can't just look away.

Jon

Edited by Silver Stoat