Birdsnester

Beefy Spinning Surf Reel

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a surf spinning reel for small sharks to around 100 lbs.   i fish from smooth ground ocean mostly.   I have good knowledge of conventional reels but I must say I’m lacking when it comes to spinners.

You guys are going to laugh but I need a Spinning reel for my 18’ surf rod.  That’s right 18’.   I get my kicks from it what can I tell ya.  

Anyway  I’ll be casting 6 to 8 oz and a large chunk.  

Spinning reels are so confusing.  Way too many models.  I’m thinking an 8000 to 10000 size with good drag.  Maybe  30 to 40 lbs.  it should hold about 350  yards or so of 60 lb braid.

and I’m not looking to spend much more than $200 or so.  Used is ok.

thoughts?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It doesnt need to be strong, since that length of the rod does not allow for any reel work.

On the other hand it does need to be fast, in retrieve, to follow up on the huge rod amplitude-.

Edited by glos

43 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I am looking to purchase a surf spinning reel for small sharks to around 100 lbs.   i fish from smooth ground ocean mostly.   I have good knowledge of conventional reels but I must say I’m lacking when it comes to spinners.

You guys are going to laugh but I need a Spinning reel for my 18’ surf rod.  That’s right 18’.   I get my kicks from it what can I tell ya.  

Anyway  I’ll be casting 6 to 8 oz and a large chunk.  

Spinning reels are so confusing.  Way too many models.  I’m thinking an 8000 to 10000 size with good drag.  Maybe  30 to 40 lbs.  it should hold about 350  yards or so of 60 lb braid.

and I’m not looking to spend much more than $200 or so.  Used is ok.

thoughts?

Daiwa BG 6500, Penn Battle II 8000, Quantum Boca 80. All under $200 with the line capacity you're looking for. Not sure about the drag strengths, but should be plenty. A Shimano Spheros is a great option too in the 10K size, and is $200. The other reels mentioned are all less $$.

There is no way a 704 is a good fit for the OP's intended use.

A-hem.  A reminder.  No buying, selling, offers to sell, soliciting, wanna  trade? chatter, outside the BST. That is why one post disappeared. Repent, and sin no more!

Birdsnester, where on earth did you get an 18' rod? 

27 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Which size, for sharks to 100 lbs?

5000 should be ok from boat and if you are good surf.  If you really want to be sure get the 6500.  Check out Matt Farrell's insta or f b.  he is getting monsters on his.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

There is no way a 704 is a good fit for the OP's intended use.

A-hem.  A reminder.  No buying, selling, offers to sell, soliciting, wanna  trade? chatter, outside the BST. That is why one post disappeared. Repent, and sin no more!

Birdsnester, where on earth did you get an 18' rod? 

Well, Abu Garcia Ultracast is a strong 18’ telescopic and so is Pokee.  You would not believe how strong these rods are.  I have both and they are a lot of fun.  I do most of my fishing with 12’ to 14’ surf rods but these long rods are nuts.  I can cast to 14 oz with the Pokee.  That said it casts 6 oz into orbit.  Don’t always need the distance but it’s nice to know you can get it if need be.  It collapses to about 4’ which is nice too.

3 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

Daiwa BG 6500, Penn Battle II 8000, Quantum Boca 80. All under $200 with the line capacity you're looking for. Not sure about the drag strengths, but should be plenty. A Shimano Spheros is a great option too in the 10K size, and is $200. The other reels mentioned are all less $$.

I’ve been seeing Quantum quite a bit recently.  How do the hold up?