Jdeverett

Stripers in Boston without access to a boat

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

New the area and to this forum as well as pretty new to saltwater fishing in general. Just moved to Boston from Arizona and looking to get out and do a little fishing. I’d like to see about going out to try pulling in a striped bass or two. 

I have have been reading through the forums and have seen a lot of recommendations for places that require you have access to a boat. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a boat but do have access to a car. 

Are there any good spots for land/shore fishing for stripers in or around Boston (for during the week at night) or even a little bit farther out (for the weekends) where you can catch decent fish form the land?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Fish can be caught anywhere around Boston harbor. Google map is your friend. Fish the river mouths on outgoing tide. Most people do good at night. Look for places like state park near a beach etc where you can park easily without getting ticket. 

1 min ago, chewwy said:

Fish can be caught anywhere around Boston harbor. Google map is your friend. Fish the river mouths on outgoing tide. Most people do good at night. Look for places like state park near a beach etc where you can park easily without getting ticket. 

Any recommendations? Still getting my bearings around the area? 

Not going to spot burn but there is lots of shore access in and around Boston. Google earth is your friend. One of the preferred methods is drifting a seaworm under a float in current.

19 mins ago, Jdeverett said:

No one is going to give you a spot on where to fish. Do some reading about surfcasting to give you more insight on gear, timing, techniques etc. And yes Google earth is your friend.

1 hour ago, Jdeverett said:

Best I can tell you is to concentrate on the areas where small river mouth that washes out to a bay. Most fish sit at the mouth and wait until the bait fish wash out. If you need more help PM when you get your posts up.

Any of the boston harbor islands are good and they run not very expensive ferries to many of them. Some allow camping. Google it and you shall see.

1 hour ago, troutworm said:

You do know that a salt water fishing license is required,right ?

Yep I did that online the other day. I got both my fresh and salt taken care of. May try the quabbing reservoir soon. 

53 mins ago, Jdeverett said:

Yep I did that online the other day. I got both my fresh and salt taken care of. May try the quabbing reservoir soon. 

Quabbing??????????????

On 7/1/2019 at 1:33 PM, b-ware said:

Quabbing??????????????

@Jdeverett A few tips on the linguistics of our beloved accent...

Say it fast but draw it out then chop it off, e.g., Medford is pronounced Medffa and Worcester is pronounced Wooosta.

We’ve been here since 1620 so we pronounce words correctly and the rest of the country is wrong, especially New York.

Develop a bad attitude, couple that with the misery of winter yet conversely fill yourself with hope that the Sox will win it all and watch them choke after the all star break. 

Good luck and Welcome to Taxachussets!