FunkyBunker

July 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

429 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Fifty years ago, tonight, at 2100, a totally unauthorized mad minute erupted in 25th Division (Tropic Lightening) in Vietnam. Every unit picked up the cue and the sky lit up with the greatest pyrotechnic display I've ever witnessed. Charlie must have crapped in his pants! A couple of units took some return fire, but all in all it was worth it! I've never seen a fireworks display to equal it. Happy 4th to everyone.

33 years ago (yesterday), at the 25th Infantry Division Schofield Barracks, I was a gangly 18 year old, tasked with driving a congresswoman in the Honolulu 4th of July parade.  She was rather overweight and insisted on standing in the cargo bed of the jeep, so she could wave at the parade viewers.  I had just learned to drive a stick three hours earlier.  The ride was very jerky and she nearly fell off the jeep onto the street!

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

33 years ago (yesterday), at the 25th Infantry Division Schofield Barracks, I was a gangly 18 year old, tasked with driving a congresswoman in the Honolulu 4th of July parade.  She was rather overweight and insisted on standing in the cargo bed of the jeep, so she could wave at the parade viewers.  I had just learned to drive a stick three hours earlier.  The ride was very jerky and she nearly fell off the jeep onto the street!

Hopefully she was wearing a Hilo Hattie outfit!

I was a cannon cocker with Charlie Battery, 3/13th Arty. Started in FDC, wound up as XO. Nice to see a post from Tropic Lightning brother. Thanks for serving.

Bob 

16 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Hopefully she was wearing a Hilo Hattie outfit!

I was a cannon cocker with Charlie Battery, 3/13th Arty. Started in FDC, wound up as XO. Nice to see a post from Tropic Lightning brother. Thanks for serving.

Bob 

I was an enlisted guy at the time, Stinger Anti-Aircraft Missileman,  Bravo Battery 1/62nd ADA (now defunct and colors folded in the 90s in a ceremony in NY).

btw.  beware they guy in a wheelchair at Penn Station, NYC who panhandles wearing 80s era BDU shirt with 25th ID patch.  I gave him a buck once and asked "When were you with the Tropic Lightning?"  He had no clue what I was talking about and said "I was in Vietnam".  I estimate, he was not much older than me, which would have made him about 4 years old in Vietnam?  A few weeks l;ater, I kinda followed him a few blocks down to 33rd street and saw him get out of the wheelchair and carry it into a building!

Finally had some down time with family and baby obligations... went out Tuesday afternoon before sun went down for an hour, OC surf.  Caught my first fluke!!!  Didn't have a tape measure so wasn't sure if it was a keeper.. looked pretty close though. Either way, safely released. Cannot wait to get back down there again at end of month

fluke #1.jpg

fluke #2.jpg

All the short fluke you could want out front this morning. Some were the size of my palm, others maybe up to 14”. None with any size. Also some small blues and small macks mixed in. My brother picked up one mack that was just shy of the 18” mark on my rod, so that one came home with us. Got out as the mob began to file in.

18 mins ago, LenDawg24 said:

Finally had some down time with family and baby obligations... went out Tuesday afternoon before sun went down for an hour, OC surf.  Caught my first fluke!!!  Didn't have a tape measure so wasn't sure if it was a keeper.. looked pretty close though. Either way, safely released. Cannot wait to get back down there again at end of month

fluke #1.jpg

You should measure out the legal length from the base of your fluke/flounder rod and mark with tape or marker along the rod.  Then you would always have a measure handy and one less thing to lose or forget.

2 hours ago, LenDawg24 said:

fluke #1.jpg

fluke #2.jpg

If you don’t have a tape measure but have some cash you can get a decent estimate.  A US Bill is just a hair over 6”.

I usually think if my first girlfriend then stand with my back arched over the fish and look down.   If I can see the fish...its a keeper

19 hours ago, GeoffT said:

Or measure your foot - mine is 12" long.   I used to be famous for posting foot shots :howdy:

That’s sick...

20 hours ago, GeoffT said:

Or measure your foot - mine is 12" long.   I used to be famous for posting foot shots :howdy:

I used to do that too, but one season I didn't take the time to clip my toenails and I ended up keeping six shorts.

Nothing but the skunk this morning.  Water was looking good, just couldn't find them today.  Saw a lot of small fluke pulled out and could see a few snappers splashing.  Lots of dead muscles around which seems typical this time of year.  A number of calico sheds on the sand too so will pull out the rake on Monday.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, BillHoo said:

I was an enlisted guy at the time, Stinger Anti-Aircraft Missileman,  Bravo Battery 1/62nd ADA (now defunct and colors folded in the 90s in a ceremony in NY).

btw.  beware they guy in a wheelchair at Penn Station, NYC who panhandles wearing 80s era BDU shirt with 25th ID patch.  I gave him a buck once and asked "When were you with the Tropic Lightning?"  He had no clue what I was talking about and said "I was in Vietnam".  I estimate, he was not much older than me, which would have made him about 4 years old in Vietnam?  A few weeks l;ater, I kinda followed him a few blocks down to 33rd street and saw him get out of the wheelchair and carry it into a building!

Prolly pockets $100K/year tax free!