FunkyBunker

July 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

182 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

I really hope some of these fun fish show up down here someday. 

Time to make a road trip Funky.

Ocean water is warm for early July. I was swimming comfortably on Sunday and caught a few short fluke off my local rockpile on Fishing Pete bucktail :kiss:

It may have been mentioned but are the Spanish mackerel good to eat? What’s the regulation for New Jersey? Same with Bonita? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, trade off said:

It may have been mentioned but are the Spanish mackerel good to eat? What’s the regulation for New Jersey? Same with Bonita? 

Thanks 

Spanish Macks are some of the best tasting fish ive ever had in my opinion

One short fluke near a southern inlet, saw loads of terns following something moving fast but missed them by the time I waded to the outer bar.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lost a nice basss Last night. Had to try and lift the fish up about 4 ft or more. No leader just braid. Think some slack got in the line . Was using a single hook jig head. 20 LB j braid on a 7’ uglystik medium and a diawa BG 3k. Didn’t think I could swing it up. 

Edited by jeffapeikin
Added details and edited braid LB test

7 hours ago, trade off said:

Thanks 

Spanish is 10 fish at 14” Bonito are not managed

13 hours ago, JMB said:

Time to make a road trip Funky.

12 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Noooo.  He might be like sudsy. 

12 hours ago, JMB said:

Good point. Forget that Funky

Lol what did Sudsy do?

Got an hour in yesterday 6-7pm back bays cmc. Still not getting many bites. Was able to find 2 short flounder 11" and 15" and lost a gulp tail to a snapper. 

Got another 30 mins in this morning to see if i could get anything on a hopkins or small paddle tail. Snappers around jumping on small bait, no bites on my end. Should have burned a sick day it was really nice out.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hopkins would not get hit by Spanish or Bonito the other day! they want small THIN profile! 1st day I found em I was flounder fishing the only metal I had was Hopkins gold silver w/tail w/o tail! Not a touch all day!! Girls that couldn’t cast were gettin em! It was Killing me! Came back next day with my arsenal of epoxies and teasers which was home in boat bag.. 1st 4 casts, hook up and bitten off! Then I started putting the heat on em right away it was game on.. lot of lost lures.. ps they are gettin em down south around jetty tips also. try blind casting around seams.. my 02

Edited by libertyminded