FunkyBunker

July 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

182 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:
Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Who else has seen this just off the beach......

Making our way from the Highlands we spotted bird action at the bug light/officers row area, turned out to be dead bunker floaters, looked west as saw what looks like this boat (maybe with a red hull) just off the tip of Earl

Fished south O C from 6 to 9, water looked good and plenty of small bait. Small blues (3-4 lb) with spanish mackerel mixed in. Small metal and epoxy jigs worked well. Also some big fish were breaking out of the water 200 yds off the beach.  No boats around?

In Atlantic County catching kingfish and a few weakfish mixed in all day long. Then a brown shark after dusk. Once the water warmed up a few degrees both bloodworms and Fishbites worked well. 

Out front o.c tossing plugs bucktails and shads nothing special to report small bait in the wash  still no sand bugs here in the  replenishment zone  maybe later 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Small bait is better than no bait......rainfish = fluke.

.....hearing this AM that things maybe picking up in RB & SH area...boats that switched over to Ling have now switched back to fluke with some good ones being caught.

Danny D. 10 lbs. 7 ozs. Today on the Sea Hunter, Atlantic Highlands

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky, outdoor and water

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

34 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Small bait is better than no bait......rainfish = fluke.

Did someone say Rainfish? Moco 5p-8p from the top to start of outgoing tide while out front. A strong south wind for the first hour that shifted to the west. I caught a few short flat ones using casting gear with a bucktail and teaser, while noticing a large amount of rain fish in the wash and several speedy flashes of silver caught my attention. I switched out to a surf candy teaser to go along with the white bucktail and caught five Spanish Mackerel on the teaser. The action lasted about twenty minutes. All SM released.
I finished the evening with a dozen short flat ones two right at 18 that were released, and one keeper at 19 inches. Several skates were also hooked and released. Here is the surf candy teaser that worked tonight, along with a sample SM.

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

2 mins ago, libertyminded said:

What a morning all the Spanish you wanted finally! Bones and blues mix in left em biting..

B9A09805-B54C-4EB0-95BC-0060987FB905.jpeg

47A994FD-5237-4C18-8A66-6800BC9FA027.jpeg

4A9A94A8-74B2-42E9-9366-4B26E9D37A89.jpeg

Nice what lure was that?  

Out front MOCO, least expected place to go, using 5" 1.5 oz custom plugs and swimmers, blues, spanish, 1 striper. No one around had it all to myself. Wow what a day.

49 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Awesome to see these bones, macks, and triggers in our waters this early. I'll be hitting it hard this weekend, can't wait!

nobody expected this unprecedented movement of fish to our waters this early, hopefully they stick around all summer especially since the fluke fishing has been extremely terrible this season.