FunkyBunker

July 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

182 posts in this topic

To echo what Ferret said..bunker yesterday was amazing. From peanuts to full grown. only 2 short fluke. Where are the predators for all this bait?. Seems like the macks and bonita are more active south of Belmar but all is relatively quiet in th the Northern, central moco area. 

Edited by joefishnj21

Found 1 short flounder Tueday morning maybe 14".

Out back cmc yesterday 530-730 pm tried a couple spots. First one found a 17" and 12" flounder, 2nd area got another one close to 17". Had something else on for a few seconds, got to the surface and looked like a weakie with the spots on it's back but started splashing and fell off. Maybe 14"-15" long. Also had a strange fight to it that almost made me think hickory shad. 

Another morning with the skunk.  Haven't had two skunk days in a row for awhile.  Let's hope it's not the start of the summer doldrums.  Water has really chilled even more than yesterday.  The guys that were picking the short fluke were stymied this morning too I guess by the chilly water.  Might not be able to get back out again until Monday.

20 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Went out last night hunting the elusive kingfish

Caught bass, fluke, doggies, stargazer, a skate, and a tiny ling like fish with spots on its sides.

No kingfish

Going to do something I NEVER do - fish in the daylight tomorrow

No don't do it.  Never give in to  the day time bite!!!!   No just kidding. 

Fished South Jersey yesterday at the top of the tide out front near an inlet. Loads of small bait that stayed mostly out of range, the few times they came inside the bar my soft plastics got murdered so I'm guess snapper blues were on them. Nothing to show for it but cool to see. Water was warm, rough, choppy surf, and a stiff SE breeze

All the kingfish you could ask for yesterday in OC. What the hell is the secret to hooking those things? Was getting chewed up every cast and only landed 9 of them, using size 6 hooks.

53 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

prefer fishbites ten times out of ten

This

47 mins ago, libertyminded said:

Rod in hand not spike?

And this.  Not much else to it.  Load up the cooler and head to the filet table.  That's my game plan before sunup. 

Trekked out front Moco. Been a while. Surf is pretty clean. Clean enough to see mother loads of cow noses going by. Packs of what looked like easy 50+. Had bluefish to 5-6lbs on mullet and herring. Monster sea robins as well. Had a few by catch of rays and toothy critters but not allowed to target the sharks so not bragging about it. Just fun to bend the rod for a while. Nice to see a couple humpbacks breaching as well. Bunker getting destroyed by blues a few hundred feet from shore. I was able to get about a dozen of them very early in the morning. Will head south tomorrow for the kingfish bite and mackerel if they come close enough where I'll be. 

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

prefer fishbites ten times out of ten

2 hours ago, libertyminded said:

Rod in hand not spike?

Yesterday they preferred salted clams to the sandworm fishbites. Yeah was holding the rod. Thinking might drop the hook size next time.

1 hour ago, IsmailG said:

Yesterday they preferred salted clams to the sandworm fishbites. Yeah was holding the rod. Thinking might drop the hook size next time.

Next time get bloodworm fish bites.  

Non stop kingfish 530-7pm. Literally drop and reel fishing. So thick I don’t think it would matter what fish bites you were using. I did fine with sandworm.   Bunker pod swimming around too but the looked unmolested so I did not bother throwing anything into them