luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2019

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Fished Dewey Beach from the shore over the 4th.  Small croakers on fish bites and 1 sea trout.  Decent blues came through chasing bait.  Caught a handful of 12-14in on tins.  Productive given the few hours fished and time of season.

The rays were out in force over the weekend at the osv, was able to land a 6 foot butterfly on my bait rod. Had a bunch of cow nosed rays and a few sharks, one being a spinner which I was surprised to see this early.  Had plenty of schools of bunker right at the 3rd break through the weekend, one of these times I will remember to take a cast net.  It was awesome to watch the dolphins picking apart the schools with the pelicans right behind them.

So we had a family reunion down at Cape Charles last week. Rented a house on the beach. Was a very nice time. Relaxing. Morning and evening the bottom was paved with bait.Caught mostly spot and kingfish. Some of the spot were very nice sized.Also caught were flounder, croaker, bluefish, puffers, and one lone seabass! I had two big sticks with me. First e Eno g had a doubleheader of big rays within 15 minutes yikes. Anyway the nonfishers who wanted a shot at a ray got all they wanted and more during the week.

Fished the lower Delaware bay again 7/11 and 7/12. 7/11 I caught a good variety including spot, croaker, small weakfish and black sea bass, sea robins and an oyster toad, and one short flounder. The weakfish and flounder hit gulp while the rest of the fish were caught on a hi-lo rig with fishbites dropped on structure or a small spoon tipped with fishbites drug through the sand or jigged under my kayak. 7/12 saw much better flounder action but still only one 17" keeper for 12 shorts, with most of the short fish falling in the 15-16" range. Also caught a couple small weakfish in the morning and a few spot throughout the day on the spoon/fishbites combo.