JerryV

June Report

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, Tlacey21walden said:

Agreed x100 (although I don’t have 4 decades to compare to I think this is vary key to are whole season.....

If not for the 45” I got a few weeks back I might have wrote this season off completely, few 30” but mostly smaller 

1EC9A7EF-8551-4228-B152-03103B0554BD.jpeg

That’s a beaut Toby....  and I hear it swam away strong too!  

I had a great start as far as numbers go and we (not me) boated some larger fish 30-37” around Father’s Day.  But similarly mostly 20-26” fish

I’ve been out visiting with  family and friends in NY the past two weeks so no fishing.  Back now to have at it.  I’ll take tough fishing over no fishing any time 

tight lines 

Jim 

Edited by jimbighead

This spring has been good for me but I do feel like there has been a drop-off in the amount of bait and fish above mid-thirties since a few years ago. So far I have caught about a hundred fish after getting out for at least a half hour all but three or four days since the second week of may. in terms of size, most have been 18-24 inches with three over 28 the largest at around 32. In my eyes, this season and last season have fished very similarly. will be fishing a tube n worm for the next few weeks so expecting lots of shorts anyway.

I agree with the above seems that the seasons unfortunately looking like last season, lots of small fish and limited numbers of breeder sized fish once again :(

16 hours ago, EarningStripes207 said:

This spring has been good for me but I do feel like there has been a drop-off in the amount of bait and fish above mid-thirties since a few years ago. So far I have caught about a hundred fish after getting out for at least a half hour all but three or four days since the second week of may. in terms of size, most have been 18-24 inches with three over 28 the largest at around 32. In my eyes, this season and last season have fished very similarly. will be fishing a tube n worm for the next few weeks so expecting lots of shorts anyway.

Grab a weighted treble and find the pogies and snag and drop. The big fish are on them just like last year. If you fish tube and worm you are doing yourself a diservice. 

3 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

Grab a weighted treble and find the pogies and snag and drop. The big fish are on them just like last year. If you fish tube and worm you are doing yourself a diservice. 

It’s no guarantee, though. I just spent a couple hours snagging and dropping on different schools and didn’t get hit.

no it definitely isn't. Fish have to be on the school and actively feeding. When they get full they sometimes still hang around the schools on the bottom. Thats when pogie head on a fishfinder rig an wight to get it to the bottom works. Or a diamond jig or one of the big 4 oz tsunami deep shads. Cast to the edge and work the bottom with slow 2 or 3 ft lifts. I have to get a replacement sidescan module so I dont waist any time on pogie schools without bass. 

Been out 5 times since Sun. and exactly 6 fish to show for it! These are spots that have produced dozens of bass in the past. Absolutely disgusted! I’m on vacation for God’s sake, and waking up early to hit it hard, and just nothing to show for it. Sleeping in tomorrow and may just forget the rest of the week. Just depressing.

Going bass fishing in the Western Mountains for a few days. Never had so many skunks or near skunks in formerly good spots since probably the 80s... sucks.

I’m with most on the size analyst ....plenty of smaller fish....a couple real beauties last week, but zero skunks so far.  Not nearly as much time out with the new born as most years but fish just the same.  Personally I’ll be curious to see how things hold up in this month and August.  Haven’t had any desire to throw snakes yet.......

Everyone is seeing undersized fish and hardly and keepers. It’s worse then last year. At least last year you could see that the 27” were still being released. Now it looks like people are probably keeping undersized fish because most people are only seeing fish up to 24”. Something needs to be done.  I’ll say it again, they need to be regulated as a trophy fish!

21 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

Is this legal in ME?

2 hours ago, Crabba said:

Is this legal in ME?

No, and shouldn’t be legal anywhere IMO.  Easy enough to reel in and send it back out on a circle hook.  One of the many reg changes I’m hoping for is circle hooks only for bait coastwide, not just in ME. 

Had my best start in many years. Unfortunately a popping clicking in my casting shoulder has forced me to lay low for a while. Was catching 4 out of every 5 trips. Hopefully I can launch the kayak in a month.