JerryV

June Report

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Let me start out about by saying that this has been the most difficult season to date for me. 

Spent just about everyday on the water in June for at least 6 hours a day. 

Usual spots produced very little. Past seasons I was into dozens of 30”+ fish for June. 

Largest fish to date was 28” everything else was 22-24”. 

Could only manage about two fish per day on average, most days produced nothing. 

I have seen a significant change this season in the amount and size of fish. 

What has everyone else been experiencing. Seems to be pretty quite on the form. 

Similar story for me, although I’m not out nearly as often. I’ve caught plenty of schoolies around 20-24” but I’m not finding many that are any bigger. I’ve had just a couple of fish pushing 28” and those were actually earlier on.

I haven’t gotten skunked from my kayak yet but the location I fish always holds a lot of schoolies and the t&w is a sure bet. 

Most fish seem healthy for their size and I’m not seeing a ton of micros. I’m hoping things improve as I have a few days off to fish this week.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've caught over 300 fish so far in June, most 20 - 24 with a single keeper at 31".  That's a "normal" June in terms of numbers, but the majority of fish are 20"+ which is a big change upwards in size from previous years.

Edited by Roccus7

I had 112 fish last June, 5 of which were keepers.   This June I put in the same amount of time for 27 fish, the biggest of which was 24 inches.   Most were in the 16-18 inch range.    I'm hoping it was the awful spring, and that the rest of the season will get better.   Admittedly, the last week has been showing a little improvement.  

I've gone out pretty much every day that wasn't flat out horrendous (and there were some). I has been a bizarre early season. I'll go out and get 5 fish on 7 casts, small ones, then nothing. Or I'll get something in the 27-28 range, but only that one fish and no more. Using flies I'm finding they want a MUCH slower retreive that usual, often a dead drift. What's weirder we were talking to a lobsterman when we were out today and he said he's having a terrible season as well. I keep hoping it'll improve, we'll see I guess...

4 hours ago, JerryV said:

Let me start out about by saying that this has been the most difficult season to date for me. 

Spent just about everyday on the water in June for at least 6 hours a day. 

Usual spots produced very little. Past seasons I was into dozens of 30”+ fish for June. 

Largest fish to date was 28” everything else was 22-24”. 

Could only manage about two fish per day on average, most days produced nothing. 

I have seen a significant change this season in the amount and size of fish. 

What has everyone else been experiencing. Seems to be pretty quite on the form. 

Nice to see an old familiar face, and with a report to boot. Same story for me, good amount of fish, no real size, few in the mid 20’s and that’s been about it. I guess as far “small fish” go they’re a little bigger than last year, very few micros, avg size has been in the 18-22” range I’d say, give or take. Good to hear from ya JerryV, have a good season man

Been out a bunch and have caught fish pretty consistent but have all been around that 20-25in mark. Haven't fished nearly enough nights this year though and have stayed on lures so far. Usually would be chunking macs or slinging some eels by now. Hope to see if bait makes a difference in finding some better sized fish this week. 

Except for one morning when I got two about 35" because I lucked onto a mackerel/striper feed and they were tight to the ledges, my season has been very sketchy. Earlier in the month I had two good days of around 40-50 fish, all twenty inches or less. Asides from that a couple 5 fish days , a bunch of one or two fish days and a good dozen skunks.

Some I've talked too have done much better than I but the majority of fishermen I speak with say they find the fishing sub-par for June.

The thing that really bothers me though is the lack of river herring this year in the Saco. Smallest run (if you call it that ) I've seen in some four decades.

Last year was the worst start for me ever. But I still got keepers up to 22 pounds by the end of the month. This year is even worse with only a few keepers to 32 inches. I mostly fish the rocks and beaches and avoid the spring hot spots, despite reports of good sized fish. By mid June my spots used to have the potential for big fish. Last few years it’s been bad. Less fishing being around is probably a good part of the problem but cold springs may also have something to do with it. Good thing is, as bad as spring has been, mid summer to the end has been great. And I’m talking about fish over keeper size. Been plenty of schoolies around, I just don’t have the interest after may.

Similar results for me, I’ve put a lot of time in, mostly in the dark fishing patterns that have been consistent producers of 30”+ fish in the past with very little to show for it. 

I think it’s a combination of the bad state of the fishery right now and the cold late spring.   Does seem like we are starting to see a few more bigger fish in the last week or so, but still nothing like it should be even compared to other recent cold springs like 2014 and 2015. 

Interesting on how many of us are sharing a similar theme.  I've only gotten out about 6 times since May.  I've caught fish in three of those outings.  The largest fish was the first one, the 28" in the surf.  The other nights I've been averaging about 3 to 4 all in the 16-22" range.  Now, I need to stress, I only fish the surf, never a river, and I so far this year, I haven't tried an artificial lure.  That's a flaw on my part, as the largest fish I usually catch is on a yozuri or silverplume this time of year.  Once I start to see bait balls, I will mix things up, but I have not seen any bait balls like I have in years past.

23 hours ago, Mainiac said:

The thing that really bothers me though is the lack of river herring this year in the Saco. Smallest run (if you call it that ) I've seen in some four decades.

Agreed x100 (although I don’t have 4 decades to compare to I think this is vary key to are whole season.....

If not for the 45” I got a few weeks back I might have wrote this season off completely, few 30” but mostly smaller 

1EC9A7EF-8551-4228-B152-03103B0554BD.jpeg

Just started fishing in Maine two weeks ago after traveling to Cape Cod early season. All boat fishing. First, it's been a very unusual season, cold, late and few big fish down there. Race Point did not go off by the time I left. We hit two schools of reasonable fish (briefly) and that was it. So my first impression is there are few big fish about period.  Came back to Maine not expecting much and found a huge number of schoolies in my usual haunt- 3 hours of surface non stop on one recent trip. So there had to be thousands of sub-legal fish in this Bay, which is somewhat reassuring except no large.  Pogies have now returned in numbers from Saco to Casco. I go out two days ago and get a 40" (28lbs on the bog) and 36", both nice fish, healthy, beautiful. So apparently there are some good fish about but definitely hunting needed. We are not in the good old days for sure.

4 hours ago, Tlacey21walden said:

Agreed x100 (although I don’t have 4 decades to compare to I think this is vary key to are whole season.....

If not for the 45” I got a few weeks back I might have wrote this season off completely, few 30” but mostly smaller 

1EC9A7EF-8551-4228-B152-03103B0554BD.jpeg

Very nice, glad to see some cows are being caught.