coastalfreak

Bait Stik Worth The Extra $$

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I've decided that I am definitely going to use more sabikis now. Both for bait and fun fishing. My question is, is it worth the extra 60 bucks or so to get the Bait Stik Sabiki Rod? Or can I use my Abu 5600 with a Medium casting rod?

It's your money, but I wouldn't spend extra money for a "sabiki rod."  (???)  Save your money for tackle for target fish, not the bait to catch them.

But, it's your money. 

Just now, Badtothebugs said:

What kind of bait are you targeting?

Things like pinfish, perch, mackerel, etc. Small fish for live and cut bait really.

I wouldn't spend my money on sabiki or a sabiki rod.  Just hand tie a more managable gold hook rig with 2 or 3 hooks. The small Aberdeen gold hooks are perfect.

Or use a red ribbon rig(look it up).

Or money well spent would be on a cast net.

What state/area are you fishing and what is your target species you'll use the bait for?

1 min ago, Badtothebugs said:

I wouldn't spend my money on sabiki or a sabiki rod.  Just hand tie a more managable gold hook rig with 2 or 3 hooks. The small Aberdeen gold hooks are perfect.

Or use a red ribbon rig(look it up).

Or money well spent would be on a cast net.

What state/area are you fishing and what is your target species you'll use the bait for?

Georgia. Primarily Surf and Estuaries. Fishing for things like red drum, flounder, and trout. 

Just now, coastalfreak said:

Georgia. Primarily Surf and Estuaries. Fishing for things like red drum, flounder, and trout. 

Then I would invest in a cast net for that. 8 ft radius with 3/8" mesh and you can catch all the bait you'll need for those species. Little bit of a learning curve but its very effective and I really enjoy it. One of my favorite types of fishing is actually cast netting mullet to eat.

You can get a decent one for 50-100 bucks

1 min ago, Badtothebugs said:

Then I would invest in a cast net for that. 8 ft radius with 3/8" mesh and you can catch all the bait you'll need for those species. Little bit of a learning curve but its very effective and I really enjoy it. One of my favorite types of fishing is actually cast netting mullet to eat.

You can get a decent one for 50-100 bucks

Greatly appreciated advice. I actually have a 6 foot one (I think) but just like you said, it's a learning curve. Trying to get it down but with little success. It's a Betts Blue. 

4 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Greatly appreciated advice. I actually have a 6 foot one (I think) but just like you said, it's a learning curve. Trying to get it down but with little success. It's a Betts Blue. 

The pin fish you catch in a net will be much better size for bait than the hand sized ones you'll get on a gold hook rig.

Don't even take it to the water until you can throw perfect pancakes in your front yard and get that muscle memory down.

Even after I learned in my yard I was throwing bananas when I took it to the water cause throwing in my yard is much different then when you can see the fish.

Watch multiple differemt videos and find the method that works for you.

Good luck! And spend that 60 bucks on some new tackle or beer lol

2 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

The pin fish you catch in a net will be much better size for bait than the hand sized ones you'll get on a gold hook rig.

Don't even take it to the water until you can throw perfect pancakes in your front yard and get that muscle memory down.

Even after I learned in my yard I was throwing bananas when I took it to the water cause throwing in my yard is much different then when you can see the fish.

Watch multiple differemt videos and find the method that works for you.

Good luck! And spend that 60 bucks on some new tackle or beer lol

Thank you for all the help man. Very useful info. 

You probably already have a Sibiki rod and don't know it.

Best video ever on Sabiki fishing.

Pay attention how he stores the rod near the end of vid..

32 mins ago, olvart said:

You probably already have a Sibiki rod and don't know it.

Best video ever on Sabiki fishing.

Pay attention how he stores the rod near the end of vid..

Very informative 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

I've thrown it a few different ways over the years but started using this method for my 6' net a few years ago and have found it very consistent. much more so than the other ways.

And it's an entertaining video :naughty:

Edited by Sudsy