Gooch88

rod grip idea

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Read a post on here from 2016 on rod grips relating to tennis wrap.  nothing on electrical tape if it’s there I can’t find it so I’m starting this one up. I read some nice comments but nothing was focused on this subject of tape.

So I got this rod 2nd hand at a show for like 80$ 10 years ago and she still kicks butt like day 1. originally had Eva foam but it was burnt by a heater by previous owner  I was home one day and was like how can i fix this  on a budget went to the 99 cent store and got some nylon rope and electrical tape this was my end result after 2 hour of thinking and some internet. this was my end result  now I’ve done this with all my surf conventional rods surf/boat rods for mostly inshore stuff . and some compliment it and consider doing so but most  laugh and ask why I would do such a thing :eek: I just did the tape again in March previously was blue like the avet. So maybe that was the eye sore in most eyes. Lmao !

Never thought about doing this to my spinning rods I did cut off my reel seat and taped my Staal down kept the cork grip and hated it reasons being I thought it looked ugly and was very slippery. Mind games. but now I’m thinking of Just striping it down and doing so like on the picture below. But i wanted to ask on here and see if anyone has any pictures of things they have done to Factory rods. To improve grip or reel seat. 

im Gonna end up doing it regardless I’m just interested in what others have done

:witty: So maybe I can copy your idea. 

thanks ! 

Gooch.

C18B6A77-5449-46C3-A5C8-810F456B83E1.jpeg

I have done this myself over Eva grips ( too slippery for me ) . You can do it with just cloth hockey or electrical tape . Pull a length and spin it around itself , wrap that around the rod as you would the rope and go over it with a layer of tape . Works great .

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hockey cloth ! See that is interesting and is something I will look into being maybe I can get something with the rangers or islanders logo thanks man !

Edited by Gooch88

Just found it online for $27. Bucks I’ll be getting some soon to try aswell thanks ! I like the non residue and weather resistance should hold up for a long time.

3 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

8BD279AC-6BD9-433A-A35F-4982DFD8BF4F.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have it on several rods where the cork tape wore down and became smooth,so impressed with the gripping properties even when slimy i put it on my newer grips too,amazing stuff,good to have around the house for an emergency plumbing repair or busted radiator hose in the car,you just have to be careful while your wrapping that it doesnt touch itself where it shouldnt or youll have to start with a new piece and redo,once it makes contact with itself it doesnt come apart,

Edited by relentless pursuit

15 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

@Belmo maybe you can weigh in on cord grips?

I like the idea, but I hate electrical tape. It's a poor material.

Next time, try shrink wrap. You can get it pretty cheap on fleabay, and it works great.

Try it over a cord wrap, and you'll never use another grip material again. And it can be retrofitted on any rod very easily. :th:

1 hour ago, Gooch88 said:

Read a post on here from 2016 on rod grips relating to tennis wrap.  nothing on electrical tape if it’s there I can’t find it so I’m starting this one up. I read some nice comments but nothing was focused on this subject of tape.

So I got this rod 2nd hand at a show for like 80$ 10 years ago and she still kicks butt like day 1. originally had Eva foam but it was burnt by a heater by previous owner  I was home one day and was like how can i fix this  on a budget went to the 99 cent store and got some nylon rope and electrical tape this was my end result after 2 hour of thinking and some internet. this was my end result  now I’ve done this with all my surf conventional rods surf/boat rods for mostly inshore stuff . and some compliment it and consider doing so but most  laugh and ask why I would do such a thing :eek: I just did the tape again in March previously was blue like the avet. So maybe that was the eye sore in most eyes. Lmao !

Never thought about doing this to my spinning rods I did cut off my reel seat and taped my Staal down kept the cork grip and hated it reasons being I thought it looked ugly and was very slippery. Mind games. but now I’m thinking of Just striping it down and doing so like on the picture below. But i wanted to ask on here and see if anyone has any pictures of things they have done to Factory rods. To improve grip or reel seat. 

im Gonna end up doing it regardless I’m just interested in what others have done

:witty: So maybe I can copy your idea. 

thanks ! 

Gooch.

C18B6A77-5449-46C3-A5C8-810F456B83E1.jpeg

I like the idea,can't slip from your hands.

not sure how comfy it is though.

I'd need a thick grip where my hand would go behind the reel then the rest ,like you have it.

HH

35 mins ago, Belmo said:

I like the idea, but I hate electrical tape. It's a poor material.

Next time, try shrink wrap. You can get it pretty cheap on fleabay, and it works great.

Try it over a cord wrap, and you'll never use another grip material again. And it can be retrofitted on any rod very easily. :th:

I just found exactly what I wanted I’m going with a double spiral hitch with some paracord and with some shrink wrap I need spacing this looks similar to what I did and with my rod but it will be a clean look aswell no more funny guys to deal with.  And figure I can still use the hockey tape for my freshwater rods  while the tommy tape would be for my inshore stuff as it will see the least amount of any type of water You guys are AWESOME ! :hi5:

44F603B7-6797-44C7-BA5D-D1FE0267A657.jpeg

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I like the idea,can't slip from your hands.

not sure how comfy it is though.

I'd need a thick grip where my hand would go behind the reel then the rest ,like you have it.

HH

I actually prefer it over all factory grips I even did it to the split butt custom I got on here previously had cork boredom striked and I hit the jackpot with it being Eva grips are fat and when wet are slippery cork very slippery when wet . if by chance you forget to wipe you hands while bait fishing you would think it would slip out your hands while casting  but with the flakiness off the tape getting scratched it completely makes up for it plus when you are lipping bass sea robins sea bass ect your fingers/hands are getting scraped up and that also helps grip it better i for one have small hands and it fits perfectly in my hand i really wanted to remove the reel seat but being the stem on avets are small I decided it was best to just leave it you can see i bulked it up some to match the reel seat width similar to were the Eva grip was just higher on top about 7” compared to 5” as the top grip was to short for me and 2” on the bottom as the bottom was to long 5” aswell When the Eva grip was still there it was very hard to palm like I can here. Wish I had a before and after my thumb was basically sitting on top the reel if that makes any sense. This is a sxj by the way.image.jpg.32213e4ef9939597806d0699ac65b7ff.jpg

4 mins ago, Gooch88 said:

I actually prefer it over all factory grips I even did it to the split butt custom I got on here previously had cork boredom striked and I hit the jackpot with it being Eva grips are fat and when wet are slippery cork very slippery when wet . if by chance you forget to wipe you hands while bait fishing you would think it would slip out your hands while casting  but with the flakiness off the tape getting scratched it completely makes up for it plus when you are lipping bass sea robins sea bass ect your fingers/hands are getting scraped up and that also helps grip it better i for one have small hands and it fits perfectly in my hand i really wanted to remove the reel seat but being the stem on avets are small I decided it was best to just leave it you can see i bulked it up some to match the reel seat width similar to were the Eva grip was just higher on top about 7” compared to 5” as the top grip was to short for me and 2” on the bottom as the bottom was to long 5” aswell When the Eva grip was still there it was very hard to palm like I can here. Wish I had a before and after my thumb was basically sitting on top the reel if that makes any sense. This is a sxj by the way.image.jpg.32213e4ef9939597806d0699ac65b7ff.jpg

good it works for you and not for a pile of cash too.

doing it your way is cool.you stay on it!

HH