Captain Tuttle

Can Stripers Recover From Shark Bites?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

An intrepid young fisherman pulled up a keeper striper that had a crescent-shaped piece missing from its lower spine.  It appeared to be healing.  Skin and scales were growing over the wound.  Can stripers recover from sharks tearing a piece out of them?

IMG_3424.JPG

In some cases I'm sure they can.  Over a lifetime I've caught several fish that had healed over severe injuries.  Most probably the injuries occured when the fish were smaller.

I've caught cod/haddock missing the entire caudal fin, fully healed. If they don't die of blood loss, and have enough muscle and fin to hunt, they can make it 

Looks like a prop got him. I've seen them in the river here with the tails almost pointing straight down, like the spine was broke at some point

42 mins ago, C. Regalis said:

Gotta be a story there.

Fish was caught in CCB last year at night. Around that time we were seeing GW consistently in the bay. The fish fought well and the bite didn’t seem to have affected it too much. It did seem like a fresh wound.  

8 hours ago, colby157 said:

6E9C3831-EC0A-4A02-A90B-F11959F5B09C.jpeg

My first thought looking at that wound was perhaps a seal rather then a shark . Was the other side cut as badly as the one you show? I have seen seals take on some rather large specimens of stripers over the years and some do get away. If that was a great white they do not give up until what they attack is killed..

47 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

My first thought looking at that wound was perhaps a seal rather then a shark . Was the other side cut as badly as the one you show? I have seen seals take on some rather large specimens of stripers over the years and some do get away. If that was a great white they do not give up until what they attack is killed..

could be a prop?

2 hours ago, ccb said:

could be a prop?

Yes if it is only on one side I would agree, that is why I asked if the mark was on the other side as well. 

Sometimes its amazing the beating that stripers can take and get through it. That said, a wound to the gills usually doesnt have a good outcome.

11 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Yes if it is only on one side I would agree, that is why I asked if the mark was on the other side as well. 

It was only on that side. So a seal could be a possibility. Thats a large fish for a seal to attack tho. 

45 mins ago, colby157 said:

It was only on that side. So a seal could be a possibility. Thats a large fish for a seal to attack tho. 

I've seen seals eat 30 to 40lb fish like an ear of corn before off of monomoy so nothing is really too big for them.