Imani

Tips for shore fishing in RI?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m heading to providence Rhode Island for a few days and am hoping to get a chance to catch some fish! I pretty new to saltwater fishing along the Northeast coast (I prefer Caribbean-saltwater fishing), and was wondering if I could get some tips on how or what I should be doing around this time of year to catch stripers from shore. I don’t have the best shore/surf setup on me (a 8 foot St. Croix Avid Inshore with a Shimano Saragossa). Even though it’s a great setup, I doubt I’ll be able to make the long casts needed to fish from most places, so that is something I have to put into consideration. Anyways, I’d love to learn what baits and tactics seem to be the most successful during early July.

Thanks!!

Edited by Imani

What do you have for plugs? You can do fine on a non surf setup as long as you have braid and good leader material. Do you have korkers or spike boots? Waders? I'm unframiliar with fishing the bay so can't help you much there.

Try to bring swim shads for if it's weedy (one hook is easier in the weeds), an SP Minnow or Hydro Minnow, and something topwater like a pencil popper.  Bucktails are always good too (in the 1 oz. range, unless you are fishing an outflow), but only if you're comfortable fishing those and/or possibly losing them on rocks.  A kastmaster or deadly dick is always a good bet for some distance, too.