BrianBM

Bull sharks in Massachusetts

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

I had a couple encounters with bull sharks in the Caribbean and Bahamas while bone fishing.  They're not friendly.

Keys flat here.   You haven't lived til your stabbing at a shark with a rod, waist deep, few hundred yards from shore w/ a pocket full of shrimp. 

12 hours ago, robc22 said:

my fav shark vid.......:)

Omg. I've never seen that video!  Thats freakin great!  I'm dyin over here. :th:

That kid will never stop tellin that story!

12 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

You haven't lived til your stabbing at a shark with a rod, waist deep, few hundred yards from shore w/ a pocket full of shrimp. 

Holy chum pot, Batman !!

2 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

2020-07-31.png... nose looks ..... un-bullish, (is that a word? -lol-)

at least from that angle

2020-07-31.pngthen this.. 

the more I look, the more I think you're right. Maybe someone can be sure

Looks more like a small tiger to me.

1 hour ago, Shhh....Now said:

Holy chum pot, Batman !!

Yea. I was alot younger and not so wise.  Early 00's

There was a kid in Northern FL killed that same week. Pocket full of shrimp. Bull bit his thigh and he bled out.   

I figured my tshirt pocket was ok. It wasnt in the water.  Besides. Haven't seen a shark yet...    

I was hooking up like crazy! Bones & permit!!   Then it shut off like a light switch.   Saw the shadow out there.  And it slowly started circling. Maybe 50yds away.  I started shuffling back to shore (stingrays too!!)  And I was out pretty far. Few hundred yds.   All alone. Not a boat or human in sight.  It was getting waaaayyy too close for comfort. 

My rod was 7ft.  The shark was longer than my rod. Pec fin to fin it looked like may be 4ft across. And it wasn't leaving me alone. I was smacking and stabbing that thing with my rod everytime I could.   It followed me til it almost beached itself. Then hung around for awhile. 

Few mins later my wife came by and asked why I wasn't still fishing.  Just said they weren't really biting.  I didn't tell her about the shark til a few years later when she asked me what the real reason was. She knows that u have to drag me away. 

Eta.   I think it was a bull shark. But Im no expert.   I would describe it as stocky body with a fat square head

Eta2. I've done alot of stupid things in my younger days.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Sooo.....Since we are telling shark stories...............

As a commercial shellfisherman I wear a wetsuit in the summer. I wade out as far as I can and pull on a shortrake. A shortrake is just a bullrake with a short handle. A couple of summers ago I went to wings cove. It's an isolated cove on wings neck and the old canal channel runs in front of it. A small white shark popped up about twenty feet from me. Small as in maybe 600 pounds lol

It wasn't really interested in me but as I backed up it became more curious. Don't think it meant me any harm it just wanted to see what I was all about.

Had a similar experience trolling for tuna in CCB years ago. All of a sudden a small white was pacing the boat and just watching us. After a few minutes it went bye bye

Fluking the middle ground years ago.........the year after that big white shark was trapped in the salt pond........I saw a huge white shark chasing bluefish.......Our presence pissed it off and it gave a couple of big tail slaps on the water........I think it was the same big girl that got trapped in the pond the year before 

Sharks are like cats.....they can be very curious animals

My mom always said I'll never win the lottery cause I use all my luck on not dieing.   

Looking back I always thought it was just normal stuff. Boys being boys.   Taking risks and livin life. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

II've been brushed by lemons, only one bull episode. I was wading a canal in PR, got a nice hit but bit off clean. I figured cuda, but some guy on a bridge was screaming to me and motioning so I went up. Apparently that canal has a good night population and he saw several in casting distance of me, 80' or so. Went to the bar, safer.