BrianBM

Bull sharks in Massachusetts

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Wikipedia describes the western Atlantic range of the bull shark as extending north to Massachusetts. The article does not state whether seals are a part of their diet, but I can't see why an adult bull shark would refrain from eating any pinniped. 

If Mass is already the northern limit of their range, then warming ocean temperatures should increase the population, over time.

Has anyone seen or caught bull sharks in Massachusetts waters? And has anyone observed a shark that was probably a bull dining on seals?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gotta say, I never heard of a bull shark as far north as NJ or the Hudson.  As a Long Islander, I would be very surprised to hear of a bull shark in my local waters.  

Then again...was that report of a Great White in the Sound legit? I know there was some talk that it might not have been.

Edited by Sqwiddig

2 hours ago, Swine4Stripers said:

They travel pretty far north into the Hudson River on occasion 

Have a source on that?

My grandfather talked of seeing them years ago growing up on the Hudson his whole life on boats. There was an article years ago (90s) in a paper from NY, but I couldn’t find it. Bull sharks can travel hundreds of miles into freshwater so it wouldn’t be impossible.

A manta ray washed up in Salem Ma a decade ago so I'm sure the occasional bull wanders up here when the currents and weather allow.

I was swimming out to a rock last night thinking about how im just deep enough to be shark bait. I don't really want to swim anymore

2 hours ago, aglenn said:

I was swimming out to a rock last night thinking about how im just deep enough to be shark bait. I don't really want to swim anymore

Knee deep is plenty of water to get nommed.

They might at that. However, given the fright that's evident in this Forum just now, they'd have a lot more chance to bite seals. A lot of folks indicate that they're reluctant to go in the water (I would be too.)  

I wonder if any boats are running Great White watching trips now, as they do with whales. Give the tourists a cheap scare thrill - look!  A fin! Alas, I don't think the bulls have the camera-friendly breaching behaviors of the GWs. Bulls are apparently stealthier.