The Riddler

Joe Baggs Resin vs. Hogy Epoxy

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

39 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

My comments were regarding metal jigs in general. Are you saying metal without epoxy (beyond a coat) is no good? Please explain.

My reply was to making them isn't rocket science.   With regard to epoxys it kind of is.  

They are VERY different.  The epoxy gives you size and shape without the weight.   There I alot slower sink rate size for size with epoxy. 

Metal has its place, but epoxy style are more versatile in most cases.      

I like skipping an epoxy jig on top, that's very hard to do with an all metal jig.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 mins ago, Riptide said:

My reply was to making them isn't rocket science.   With regard to epoxys it kind of is.  

They are VERY different.  The epoxy gives you size and shape without the weight.   There I alot slower sink rate size for size with epoxy. 

Metal has its place, but epoxy style are more versatile in most cases.      

I like skipping an epoxy jig on top, that's very hard to do with an all metal jig.  

I'm certainly not going to dispute that introducing epoxy resins into the manufacturing process doesn't make it more complex and challenging. I also am not going to debate about the versatility of epoxy resin. I have many different casting jigs that I use that I skip on top and I find metals skip quite well depending on the design. 

My position is that there are many jigs that are manufactured in China that I catch lots of fish (albies) with. China as the country of origin is not synonymous with junk that won't catch fish. The manufacturer, regardless of location, makes the jigs based on the design spec they are provided. I have many Hogy epoxy jigs but I haven't thrown out any of my Chinese made metals.

My point was simply that metal jigs don't have to be manufactured in a special high tech environment to be effective.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

So, is the measure of all these jigs going to be how durable they are?

I have a couple Maria, loads of Hogy and the new Hogy softs.

I have not experienced the melting of any of them. (?)

Hogy softs are indestructible, but they do 'stick' to other things....get dirty easy.

My solution is to coat in Hard-As-Nails clear coat nail polish and they become shiny smooth, same durability.

The soft coat is like UV glue used in fly tying, as I treat these the same way with great success.

9 hours ago, catatonic said:

Check out hogy’s new soft-poxy jigs........I took one of the early release ones and smashed it with a brick while it was sitting on a rock and couldn’t hurt it.......and I will say they don’t melt like the old Marias.

Quality on the early Hogy Soft Poxies was absolutely horrible. I would have to see if they improved before I bought any more. Until then, I give them a thumbs down.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just came in today.  The 1oz is as wide as a yo zuri jig.  I feel the Yozuri swam like crap.  I will give it a couple of test casts and see how it swims. 

Picture ahows,  Yozuri yellow black dot, JB Resin green,  Hogy olive, I may buy JB Resin in 3/4oz and also test swim that.

2015E22C-B5FC-4E46-B2AD-2A7B9C724E88.jpeg

2DFC987C-DB6B-4848-97A8-3BD617B43F44.jpeg

06A4433F-B396-4D3B-9554-D1556CB12190.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

On 6/30/2019 at 9:50 PM, FishRatz said:

So, is the measure of all these jigs going to be how durable they are?

I have a couple Maria, loads of Hogy and the new Hogy softs.

I have not experienced the melting of any of them. (?)

Hogy softs are indestructible, but they do 'stick' to other things....get dirty easy.

My solution is to coat in Hard-As-Nails clear coat nail polish and they become shiny smooth, same durability.

The soft coat is like UV glue used in fly tying, as I treat these the same way with great success.

Durability, availability, and if it’s a word , swimabilty. Hogy do swim good. Durability and quality control needs lots of work. No secret there. 

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Durability, availability, and if it’s a word , swimabilty. Hogy do swim good. Durability and quality control needs lots of work. No secret there. 

They can produce some real turds. Look at the insert of the Hogy in your picture, no where near centered, drives me nuts. 

I do like the color options they put out though.

I agree with DAQ ^^^

When ever I buy Hogy (hard) Epoxies, I will certainly spend the extra time to pick through the lot. Obviously mass produced inconsistencies.

Hope to try the softie version soon along with a few J Baggs.

No doubt that epoxy covered metals will always have a spot in my rotation of offerings :hooked:

1 hour ago, z-man said:

The hook on the Joe Baggs looks too small. 

Agree, rather have a bigger treble.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, chewwy said:

FIY it seems Joe Baggs just copies or put his name on Chinese lures. For example his swatter and now this resin epoxy. They can be found cheaper on chinese sites. 

Chewy, do you think you can go to that Chinese source and buy some and compare?  Or how about a snap shot of the web page?

It passes the swim test. Swims just as good as the rest. Surprising for a wider bait. 

D2B761FB-EBD5-4E4E-8C1F-FEAFDEC88D70.jpeg

Last season I ordered some Hogy epoxy jig online from a well known shop in RI. Don't know how some of them made it through QC as it was obvious that it just came from the factory because the epoxy had a smell and was still soft and not hardened.