The Riddler

Joe Baggs Resin vs. Hogy Epoxy

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Ok, just saw the Joe Baggs resin.  New for this year.  Has anyone compared the two for durability yet?  Price is competitive with Hogy.  

B3F1D4CC-8005-47A6-A9AD-DD6B81AA0330.png

Joe Baggs website claims they use Resin, like the old Maria and we all know those jigs took an absolute beating and didn’t crack. 

FIY it seems Joe Baggs just copies or put his name on Chinese lures. For example his swatter and now this resin epoxy. They can be found cheaper on chinese sites. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, chewwy said:

FIY it seems Joe Baggs just copies or put his name on Chinese lures. For example his swatter and now this resin epoxy. They can be found cheaper on chinese sites. 

Are you implying that Hogy epoxy jigs are made in USA? That could explain why they are so expensive. Manufacturing jigs is not rocket science. Not a lot of moving parts. If ever there was a product that would not be compromised by Chinese manufacturing, the metal jig might be it. Cost would the overriding factor in making a decision to manufacture in China. I'm not sure 'quality' would be questioned, as adding quality is a cost/reward question quite unrelated to the country of origin, in this case. Foreign vs American jobs is a consideration but pricing would likely give this consideration little weight.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

27 mins ago, chewwy said:

This...same with many other brands

Check out the new Live target resin style jigs coming out at icast........tasmanian devil in styling for some, waxwingis in others.

I don't care if it's made by my Mexican cousins.....if it catches as good as a Hogy, lasts longer than a Hogy, and the price is right?  It's a no brainer. If a Mexican or Chinese fleabayer has em?  That's fine but when it's your one weekend trip and green is the ticket and the local has em?  I will buy 10. That's the Premium price for supply, demand, availability.

3 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I don't care if it's made by my Mexican cousins.....if it catches as good as a Hogy, lasts longer than a Hogy, and the price is right?  It's a no brainer. If a Mexican or Chinese fleabayer has em?  That's fine but when it's your one weekend trip and green is the ticket and the local has em?  I will buy 10. That's the Premium price for supply, demand, availability.

Check out Jansen inshore tackle's selection of metal jigs (curricants) in the 3/4 to 2 oz. range. Made in China. Cost about $5.50. The fish don't seem to care.

Check out hogy’s new soft-poxy jigs........I took one of the early release ones and smashed it with a brick while it was sitting on a rock and couldn’t hurt it.......and I will say they don’t melt like the old Marias.

Edited by catatonic

30 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Check out Jansen inshore tackle's selection of metal jigs (curricants) in the 3/4 to 2 oz. range. Made in China. Cost about $5.50. The fish don't seem to care.

lol....come on man. Is this thread really going to derail into metal vs. epoxy/resin. Start a new thread.

Ok getting back to the thread I ordered Joe Baggs from Surfcaster and used the free shipping. I need some more stuff that I won't use anyways to get that free shipping...lol....So I will do a test with Hogy and Joe Baggs and maybe some old Maria's and report back. Bones are around maybe I will get the boat out on em next weekend.

28 mins ago, catatonic said:

Check out hogy’s new soft-poxy jigs........I took one of the early release ones and smashed it with a brick while it was sitting on a rock and couldn’t hurt it.......and I will say they don’t melt like the old Marias.

I have em. Will be in the comparison test we should all do.

10 mins ago, The Riddler said:

lol....come on man. Is this thread really going to derail into metal vs. epoxy/resin. Start a new thread.

I saw your thread as one about price and quality of metal jigs with some outside added criticism about Chinese. Is it Hogy vs Baggs only? So what is OK here?

6 hours ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Manufacturing jigs is not rocket science. 

You are 100% wrong on this!    I was involved with the Hogy Epoxy jig from the get go. 

There are a myriad of factors that make these type of jigs a nightmare to make.  

First, there are factories that do epoxy and plastic and those that do lead and wire.  There are VERY few that do BOTH.  So unless you want to start shipping half made jigs around to multiple factories its a limited market.

Second, epoxy is fickle.   Its a balancing act.

Hard epoxy = super shiny and super brittle

Softer epoxy = less shine, better durability but can often melt other lures and tackle boxes.   The old Marias would melt stuff on occasion.

Epoxy needs to be cured in certain temps and humidity levels.  I had a TON of "BLEMS" with air bubbles in them during initial startup.  The factory struggled to get things 100%.   So cost for factories with tighter parameters raises price.

The list goes on, but this is a rough idea of why they cost what they do, why some are more brittle and some are more durable.   As technology and chemistry advances things can and do change.   

FWIW, Epoxy Resin.......2 words.   Same thing.  

1 hour ago, Riptide said:

You are 100% wrong on this!    I was involved with the Hogy Epoxy jig from the get go. 

There are a myriad of factors that make these type of jigs a nightmare to make.  

First, there are factories that do epoxy and plastic and those that do lead and wire.  There are VERY few that do BOTH.  So unless you want to start shipping half made jigs around to multiple factories its a limited market.

Second, epoxy is fickle.   Its a balancing act.

Hard epoxy = super shiny and super brittle

Softer epoxy = less shine, better durability but can often melt other lures and tackle boxes.   The old Marias would melt stuff on occasion.

Epoxy needs to be cured in certain temps and humidity levels.  I had a TON of "BLEMS" with air bubbles in them during initial startup.  The factory struggled to get things 100%.   So cost for factories with tighter parameters raises price.

The list goes on, but this is a rough idea of why they cost what they do, why some are more brittle and some are more durable.   As technology and chemistry advances things can and do change.   

FWIW, Epoxy Resin.......2 words.   Same thing.  

My comments were regarding metal jigs in general. Are you saying metal without epoxy (beyond a coat) is no good? Please explain.