rathrbefishn

crabbing in Annapolis or near Baltimore?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So my apologies in advance if this falls into the spot burning category- not my intent and if I have crossed the site rules, just let me know.  

I am looking for a place to take my Mom crabbing that isn't too far from Frederick County Maryland.  When I was a kid, we used to travel from central Jersey down to the Shore and go crabbing- traps, nets and stringlines  and just picking them off the surface as they came to lights after dark.  This was ~ 35-40 years ago and haven't done much of it since- just some pots hen I lived down south.  Dad passed 2.5 years ago so Mom hasn't been fishing since ( they did freshwater bass trips several times a year).  My mom's mentioned several times now how she's like to go crabbing again. Just found out she'll be visiting next week, but I have not crabbed since coming to Maryland. If I can pull it off-  likely after work- possibly July 4th (yes likely would be crowds) 

Can anyone point me to a spot not to much more than an hour from Frederick that is nice and accessible?  She can walk a couple of hundred yards to a dock or pier, but I don't think much further than that ( 78 years old).  Juts looking for a place to go for a few hours-  If we catch some great, if not, that's OK.  I'd of course get whatever licenses we need-  MD Compass site makes that easy to do last minute if we do decide to go.

Thoughts welcomed.

I didn't do much crabbing when I lived in MD. Most of what I did was when I was young, growing up there. Not sure about the time or distance, as traffic certainly affects the time, but there are some public piers that offer you some places to catch crabs. 

Check out Ft Smallwood Park, Matapeake Park, Romancoke Park, and Jonas Green Park.

Ft Smallwood & Jonas Green are in Anne Arundel County. The other two are in Queen Anne's County right across the bay bridge from Annapolis. 

Closer to Baltimore, there's Ft Armistead Park, but that place had gotten a bad reputation for drugs & other crime activity, so not a place I went. I did when I was young, before all that bad stuff was happening there. 

I actually also live in Frederick, sandypoint state park is pretty easy access or Kent island as well. I don’t crab too often but I know they are there. I also have tried romancoke but crowds are pretty bad.

Frederick resident here too. you're going to have to push your radius out from an hour for any decent crabbing - the spots mentioned above are all viable.

we take the boat down to Sandy Point & head up toward the Magothy River, i think there's a landing there you could check out. 

i know some guys that hit Rt.2 across from Ft. McHenry at Middle Bridge but it isn't an area you'd want to subject your mother to...

ever consider an overnight trip to the Rock Hall or St. Michael's areas? once you're set up with a room there's a myriad of spots on that side of the bay to

crab from.  

There is a long dock and car top public launch on the Rhode River between edgewater and Mayo. I forget the name of it but I see people crab when I launch the yak. The downside is parking for about 7 cars. 

my thanks for all the recommendations.  Didnt' get over to the water this week. Hopefully Ill have a chance to try some of them later this year. Hearing it is a banner year for crabs. How late in the year does crabbing typically last in MD?