jjdbike

Ideas for grilling big fluke?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

looking ahead to 4th weekend cookout w/ a couple friends. I want to do fluke & corn on cob on grill. My challenge is, these are the biggest fluke I’ve ever cooked. They’re filleted, skinned & quartered. They look more like thickish beef steaks than fluke fillets in size.

Any hints on grilling thick fluke? I do have grilling baskets.

I feel like I need to add fat so the done dry out. Butter or bacon? Considering old bay or Cajun. Perhaps blackened in cast iron?

Any has ideas or suggestions are appropriated.

Thanks in advance.

JD 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cut them in half, like butterflied, so they are thinner.  Blackened on cast iron would be my choice.  NO bacon!  My preferred method for fluke is franchese with lemon butter sauce, but that’s not grilling.  You want a quick method so the fish doesn’t dry out.

Edited by PeterO

I wouldn't grill skinless filets. Sauté them whether franchise like Peter suggests, or piccata, or with some other sauce.

You could season it up any way you want. Then seal it in foil with a splash of white wine several pats of butter on top and squeeze some lemon on top. Check it after a while, looking for 145 degrees. It should come out nicely.

43 mins ago, Seakarp said:

You could season it up any way you want. Then seal it in foil with a splash of white wine several pats of butter on top and squeeze some lemon on top. Check it after a while, looking for 145 degrees. It should come out nicely.

I do something very similar on many different types of fish. Easy to cook and non fish eaters seem to like.

1 hour ago, Seakarp said:

20 mins ago, chris koltz said:

I do something very similar on many different types of fish. Easy to cook and non fish eaters seem to like.

IMHO waste of time and money to do it that way on a grill, better off using a saute pan or the oven. You don't get any "grill" taste anyway using that method.

15 mins ago, MakoMike said:

IMHO waste of time and money to do it that way on a grill, better off using a saute pan or the oven. You don't get any "grill" taste anyway using that method.

I thought he was trying to"grill" fillets on the 4th with company outside. I can think of dozens of different ways to cook Fluke but most people cook outside on the 4th of July. No brainer way to prepare delicious fillet fish on the grill. IMHO

Fluke generally needs help and likely won't do well straight grilled like others have said.

Foil is good, but you are basically baking/steaming outside.

If you lived closer I'd lend you my outdoor fryer, but you can do it (carefully) with a pot on the grill.  Fish tacos for everybody!

My thick fish go to is melt butter, chop fresh herbs, punch a hundred holes in a big piece of hd foil.   Dip fish in butter, cover in herbs, throw it on the foil on hot charcoal.  Keep the fish to one side of the foil.  There will be flames, don’t sweat it.  Use foil to turn it over. Herbs like parsley, oregano, sage, whatever and lots of it. 

It's too late now, but next time scale and steak em then grill over charcoal with BBQ sauce flipping and painting to build up a crust

21 hours ago, PeterO said:

Cut them in half, like butterflied, so they are thinner.  Blackened on cast iron would be my choice.  NO bacon!  My preferred method for fluke is franchese with lemon butter sauce, but that’s not grilling.  You want a quick method so the fish doesn’t dry out.

Thanks everyone.

i think I’m gonna take Peter’s advice. I’ll cut quartered fillets in half. Pat dry. Lightly coat w/ fresh lime juice. Then cover w/ blackening seasoning. Preheat big cast iron pan on grill. Pay some ghee on hot pan & place seasoned fillets on the hot butter. Flip. Add extra splash of lime & pat of butter. Serve.

I’ll let ya know how it turns out.

JD

I have grilled large fluke before.  Get off as much slime and scales as you can, remove the head and cut it in half.  Dry the two halves best you can and use a lot of kosher salt.  Grill 10 mins per side on med/high heat, flip, done.  DOn't try to flip it more than once or it will probably break.   And don't try it without the skin left on.  

Alternatively, you can coat the two halves (when dry) in all purpose flour and liberally apply salt and thin coating of vegetable oil prior to grilling. 

4 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I have grilled large fluke before.  Get off as much slime and scales as you can, remove the head and cut it in half.  Dry the two halves best you can and use a lot of kosher salt.  Grill 10 mins per side on med/high heat, flip, done.  DOn't try to flip it more than once or it will probably break.   And don't try it without the skin left on.  

Alternatively, you can coat the two halves (when dry) in all purpose flour and liberally apply salt and thin coating of vegetable oil prior to grilling. 

He said they were skinless filets.

20 hours ago, Seakarp said:

This is pretty much what I like too. Butter, oil, wine, salt, pepper, a bit of teragon, onions, cherry tomatoes, wrap it up in foil and cook it on whatever you want, depending on filet size it usually takes 8-9 minutes, or 4 minutes per inch thickness-ish.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

He said they were skinless filets.

Missed that. Could try oil/breading or flouring/oil it first and then cooking direct on the grill.  Putting plain fluke flays on a grill is a recipe for disaster otherwise.