Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 1 - July 8

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, DangerDanjo08 said:

This morning I saw what looked like bunker (to me) in one of the estuaries jumping out of the water. But a fly fisherman said he caught one and it was a blueback herring. Is that possible or was he blowing smoke?

He probably misidentified it and it was a hickory shad. They look a lot alike.

14 hours ago, DangerDanjo08 said:

This morning I saw what looked like bunker (to me) in one of the estuaries jumping out of the water. But a fly fisherman said he caught one and it was a blueback herring. Is that possible or was he blowing smoke?

It’s very likely actually.. local estuary still holds alewives, hickory shad. They come in droves throughout the summer and early fall. Cheers.

Bunch of short and keeper size scup off beach w a few skates mixed in. Was slow till near sunset and then was nonstop. No birds, bait, or schools of fish to be seen from beach which is a little surprising.

Scup have been hot even had some Black Sea bass in the mix from shore last pm. Kids are having a blast reeling in fish after fish. Will hit the outflow near me one of the next few nights. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Summer chumming has been good this past week.  Haven't bothered with stripers (nice to sleep in for once)

Non-stop scup bite (between a buddy and I)

Few keeper sized Sea bass

TONS of fluke yesterday with a handful of keepers. 

Oddly enough, caught a huge tautog off a sandy beach yesterday using a squid strip.  Obviously went back since it's not August yet...

But overall, very nice & relaxing July 1st-8th fishing week.

Scup.jpg

Sea.jpg

Fluke.jpg

fluke 2.jpg

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

On 7/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, MakoMike said:

But fluking sucks.

Ain't that the truth. 40 fish to get 5 decent keepers one day last week; this week no drift and only a quarter of that....

1 hour ago, RIRockhound said:

Ain't that the truth. 40 fish to get 5 decent keepers one day last week; this week no drift and only a quarter of that....

You been fishing the mainland or Block?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

You been fishing the mainland or Block?

Newport/Middletown. More small fish (both sub recreation and even sub-commercial size) than I have seen in a while, but 19"+ fish are scattered... even my usual deep haunts near structure have little fish n them...

Going to head towards block, but east a bit, this weekend I think....

Edited by RIRockhound

If I get of the dock this weekend or whenever, I'm going to try south of block to the west. Let me know how you do and I will do likewise. I'm working on a water pump issue right now.

21 hours ago, MakoMike said:

If I get of the dock this weekend or whenever, I'm going to try south of block to the west. Let me know how you do and I will do likewise. I'm working on a water pump issue right now.

PM sent.

Did well past few days from yak and shore. Schoolies on small plastics with teaser when they're in feeding. Caught a 36" from a pretty lifeless zone of water a few hours ago. Have 2 more days left down here.