Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 1 - July 8

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file for ease of viewing. 

This is the second year trying this approach. I think last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us to be informed.  

It's 4th of July week. The biggest vacation week of the year. Time to get to the coast and shot a line, get out with the warmer weather. Keep those reports coming, good or bad.

We'd like to hear. Have a firecracker of a week.

Lots of bait around last pm, sand eels and silver-sides.  Got a couple annoying size blues, and even more annoying when one hit my swivel and i lost my stuff.  :banghd:  Couple of bass (24-27"), but body of fish i have been getting into lately has moved out and hasnt been replaced by next wave yet.  Finally had a decent pattern going for the first time this year before they moved.  Lots of holiday fisherman out last pm, one group had 2 kids they were trying to teach to fish (kids kept screaming at each other "who was better at fishing") and at night at popular/tricky spots are not the best places to teach kids to fish at night.  Others really didnt want to fish, they just wanted to talk and would walk person to person seeing who would talk to them......... Holidays...........

I've been fishing the mouth of an inlet at the top of the tide into the outgoing: lots of sand eels and diving birds at the flood tide with micro bass and a few fish in the 20" - 24" range. Nice weather, but I sure would like to hook into something larger.  It might be time to switch over to fluke and tog.

Went to a spot that gave up a 40lb fish on this moon and tide cycle last year. Only had 4 small fish to show for it. That and it was crowded. Got the whole day to fish for fluke today so very excited to get some sun and fatty flatties. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Only a couple of small stripers early last night on the new moon high tide, but I did get two nice fluke by bouncing a white bucktail and Otter Tail strip along the bottom.

Edited by fishinbill

Fished Jamestown and Warwick incoming last evening. Lots of terns diving for what was most likely sand eels. No bass on them though :( Went to Warwick for sunset, saw one small blue caught and a lot of straight rods.Thought there might at least be a good blue fish bite.

Lots of small bait around and schoolie bass and small blues are feeding on them. I did well with plug and dropper ( Red gill) early yesterday morning with most fish hitting the teaser. 

822B09F5-0D91-4A91-9FB3-24028BF33100.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

6 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Lots of small bait around and schoolie bass and small blues are feeding on them. I did well with plug and dropper ( Red gill) early yesterday morning with most fish hitting the teaser. 

822B09F5-0D91-4A91-9FB3-24028BF33100.jpeg

almost all the fish there have been coming on teaser, or bronze back mag.  tons of bait, blue fish were destroying red gils till one of the blues decided to hit my swivel.  Can hear the fish popping on the small bait.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

almost all the fish there have been coming on teaser, or bronze back mag.  tons of bait, blue fish were destroying red gils till one of the blues decided to hit my swivel.  Can hear the fish popping on the small bait.

4A7D61B7-CFC3-4E00-8A39-F5F7784EAEE2.jpegThe fish wanted no part of any plug save for the mag darter or ss darter. Most keyed in on the black Red gill. They were busting the bait on the surface too. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I had these great guys fly fishing from New Jersey for two straight days.

Tuesday out at Block on a fly 30 fish day, a bag of stripers, five lbs. blues, giant scup, and black sea bass.

Wednesday, off Newport, seven smaller schoolies, three scup, and one nice 8 lb. tautog.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

15 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Did it again today. Only five of us fishing and we got our limit of these bad boys.

6DCE833C-751D-4F5A-875A-DE71613AAA25.jpeg

nice job, i've been getting my limits on them close to home base in point judith. It's been lights out sea bass, i am barely using any gas. Some smallish keeper fluke and lots of short fluke mixed in too

Edited by canalsharpie

1 hour ago, canalsharpie said:

nice job, i've been getting my limits on them close to home base in point judith. It's been lights out sea bass, i am barely using any gas. Some smallish keeper fluke and lots of short fluke mixed in too

I’m in the same area. Short rides and huge sea bass. But fluking sucks.

Edited by MakoMike

This morning I saw what looked like bunker (to me) in one of the estuaries jumping out of the water. But a fly fisherman said he caught one and it was a blueback herring. Is that possible or was he blowing smoke?