kevin.graves35

If you could only choose one fly rod...

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Let's pretend you're packing for a Massachusetts fly fishing excursion but only have room in your pack for one rod. What size would you choose? I understand that there isn't a one size fits all but let's just imagine there is... Any particular rods you'd pack over others? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've never run across anyone whose average casts seems to go beyond 70', or is out in winds over 15 besides myself.  I know they exist, but I never seem to meet them on the shore.   Maybe the practice and effort I put into becoming a good caster years ago pays off.  I don't fish the Cape, except on rare occasions, but I fish lots of differing terrain.  I also  occasionally use the yak or a float tube, or I'm out in a center console.   For me, it'd be my  9' 9 wt. Winston BIIX.  It has had enough power to handle winds, enough softness to  protect lighter tippets on fussy, skittish flats fish, has tired out  +40" fish, but allows a little fun with rats under 20. I can also have the little squirmers off the hook in under 10 seconds.  I've never broke it in 15 years of use , and it also gets used for Kings on the Salmon River. It throws flies from  11" Deceivers to  small shrimp, my two top producers being a  Deceiver in the  3/0 7" range and 4-5" 2/0 Clouser.   I have better casting rods,  even in the same length, same weight, but that doesn't always transmit as fun or utility. 

Edited by bloosfisher

I fish Mass several times a week (but not the Cape), 90% of the time I use my 9' 8 weight. It's fun for schoolies and will handle up to mid-sized keepers without issue. Adding in the Cape though I'd up it to my 9 weight due to the potential for blues.

Kevin come on. Whilst there are no dumb questions. There can be questions just for the sake of them. I can’t belive for one second that you can’t answer your own question on fly lines.

On question of rod which is reasonable even though I love TH rods for the salt vast majority do not. So in a single hand rod it would have to be a proper 10 wt that did not need to be over lined and in a length of 9 feet.

That would get the job done in the conditions most guys are prepared to tolerate. Above that then it would be a TH.

Mike