DangerDanjo08

Question: Does Trimming Small Pieces Of Line Affect The Environment?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I've read that things like fishing line can take hundreds of years to decompose. I don't know if that's correct or not, but I keep and dispose of every piece of line I trim after tying on. I see many popular You-Tubers cuttings their tag ends off into the ocean. In fact, I've seen one do a beach clean-up one day then watch him cut off those ends and drop them into the great blue. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Some of the people are now sponsored and I wish they would be better stewards given their platform.

Everything we do has some effect. Those small pieces add up, and on their own can damage smaller organisms or pieces of ecosystems. I have a small collection of mono bits and pieces waiting to be recycled. Braid usually just goes in a trash can; not sure what else to do with it. I hate seeing people throw things into the environment too, but there is not a ton we can do about it, unfortunately.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tag end goes into pocket. However, littering while fishing is inevitable, your line will snap at some point. So try to take more than you leave. 

Edited by C.Robin

Fishpond makes a small container that clips to belts or packs to put small bits of line in. Check it out online. It’s well thought out and handy. With all the closet inventors on SOL I bet someone will jury rig a better one that costs pennies to build.

Wow.....impressive......In my entire life I've never once witnessed someone pocketing a trimmed tag end.....

I have had them blow off, but I cut them over my surf bag. When I dump my bag, I take all the little bits and dispose of them appropriately. 

I’m always finding tag ends and cut braid in my plug bag, trunk, pockets, wader pockets, etc. I always forget to take it out at the end of the day and find loads of it later. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I pocket my tags, then to a coffee cup in the car. Something i picked up from my father who smoked and was in the military, when i use to smoke my cigarette butts would go in my pocket not on the ground same with fishing line.

Edited by nfnDrum

20 hours ago, D1fishr said:

I have had them blow off, but I cut them over my surf bag. When I dump my bag, I take all the little bits and dispose of them appropriately. 

Whereupon they are dumped into the environment someplace else.

I clean up lots of line, and aquatic ecosystems are more sensitive to particles, but in a way its all really a game of moving stuff someplace else.

microplastics are virtually impossible to filter once it gets into the ocean.  

despite our efforts to separate and recycle, the fact is that only about 9% of the total plastic produced in USA are recycled... 

i believe they are exported to 3rd world countries who dump them in landfills and oceans

I try to keep a hold of trimmed tags which is sort of ridiculous considering I've been spooled before. Also bottom snags, random snapoffs, etc. But that 2" tag end is going in my pocket... :kook: