Hook Keeper Attachment Question

Rate this topic

You can use U40 Permagloss as the finish and apply several thin coats a couple hours apart or you can use 2-part epoxy rod finish and manually rotate the rod 180 degrees every 2 minutes for the first 1/2 hour then every 5 minutes for the next couple of hours while it sets up.  Two thin coats will turn out better than one thick coat.

I am a fan of hook keepers, mostly fish artificials, and put my Tactical Angler snap on the hook keeper for storage and transport. I have added them to rods and built rods with them and learned this - place the hook keeper on the same side of the rod as the spool. So, for spinning, on the bottom and for conventional on the top. 

I have two rods, one spinning and one conventional, where I put the hook keeper on the side, and from time to time my line wraps around it while fishing. Especially if I am working a top water lure. It is just on more thing to go wrong. 

Hopefully some more experienced SOL members will chime in too.

I used this $9 gear motor from Amazon to cobble together a rotisserie rod turner. It takes 110 volts AC, so you just need to add a switched cord. I mounted it on a block of wood, screwed a small, approximately rod diameter pvc cap to the end and fasten my blanks with a length of of duct tape. It has gotten me through 4 rods so far.

Search for this: TYD-50 Small Synchronous Gear Motor 110V AC 7.5-9RPM CW/CCW for Rod Dryer

4BDE7730-E634-4A02-A682-2A7409DA8B4F.jpeg

Edited by FatTailWagging
Spelling