Mikeinri

Tranx 400 hi or low?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any recommendations to choose one over the other? Going on a custom fluke rod and will use for bsb and tog etc.   20-100 ft of water 

Edited by Mikeinri

The PG retrieve will able you to lift heavier weight with ease. You can rail the rod and just crank. The rod stays put and you crank. More torque, less speed. 

The HG retrieve with heavier weight you will have to lift the rod and crank as you lower the rod. Less torque, more speed. 

Personally i always liked the PG gearing unless I wanted to fast crank lures for a reason. Even then I would just increase my retrieve rate of my hand when using PG. 

Does anyone know if high speed gears tend to be more prone to strip than lower speed ones ?  I’m not even sure where I got the idea from but I always thought that high speed gears had more teeth/finer teeth which made them fragile and more likely to fail. 

2 hours ago, valentine said:

Does anyone know if high speed gears tend to be more prone to strip than lower speed ones ?  I’m not even sure where I got the idea from but I always thought that high speed gears had more teeth/finer teeth which made them fragile and more likely to fail. 

I know my 8:1 freshwater baitcasters don't stay buttery smooth nearly as long as my 5:1 and 6:1 reels. 

I’d get the hi for that type of fishing. You can always reel slower. 

I use a trini 12 for similar. It’s 6.3:1. I haven’t seen a tog/fluke/bsb that it couldn’t handle. Hold the rod and reel, no pumping is needed. 

The low gear ratio bull**** is just another myth that persists, at least for inshore fishing. If you’re talking 16oz or higher and depths of 200’, then yes it matters. If you’re talking fluke and bsb with a couple of ounces and 100’ max give or take, you’re fine with the hi speed. 

If you can’t get the job done with that reel maybe tightening your man bun will help. 

11 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

The PG retrieve will able you to lift heavier weight with ease. You can rail the rod and just crank. The rod stays put and you crank. More torque, less speed. 

The HG retrieve with heavier weight you will have to lift the rod and crank as you lower the rod. Less torque, more speed. 

Personally i always liked the PG gearing unless I wanted to fast crank lures for a reason. Even then I would just increase my retrieve rate of my hand when using PG. 

Modern high speed reels retrain their cranking power through their design.

The Tranx 400 highspeed version is not at a loss for power even though it is a higher speed reel.

17 mins ago, cheech said:

The other plus to high speed reels is the possible crossover to ripping in a tin for Albies, etc., or speed jigging.

Also comes with the power knob too.. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, levari said:

High... Specifically if you fish deep water...

High speed retrieves are nice when bottom fishing, you get much faster turn over to rebait and drop back down again and you speed less time and effort cranking up your rigs.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, Drew C. said:

I’d get the hi for that type of fishing. You can always reel slower. 

I use a trini 12 for similar. It’s 6.3:1. I haven’t seen a tog/fluke/bsb that it couldn’t handle. Hold the rod and reel, no pumping is needed. 

The low gear ratio bull**** is just another myth that persists, at least for inshore fishing. If you’re talking 16oz or higher and depths of 200’, then yes it matters. If you’re talking fluke and bsb with a couple of ounces and 100’ max give or take, you’re fine with the hi speed. 

If you can’t get the job done with that reel maybe tightening your man bun will help. 

I have actually used high speed reels with 16oz at depths to 200ft and it was nice.

Power handles and the large main gears on your bigger low profile reels make a big difference.