Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jalthoff

Costa Rica - Anyone know anything about guides?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all - Heading to Costa Rica with family and curious if anyone has ever figure out any fly fishing (with or without guides) around the Playa Conchal - Playa Flamingo on the west side of Costa Rica?

It's a family vacation, so won't be doing a lot of fishing, but would like to get out for one day.

Any insights greatly appreciated!

(And yes, I've done a search of the site - most of the info is pretty dated. ) 

Edited by jalthoff

Look up Peter Gorinsky. I fished with him a number of years ago. We fished for machaca and tarpon. He had discovered tarpon miles upriver from the ocean. He pioneered fly fishing in Costa Rica. I'm not sure where he is in relation to where you will be. He's a very interesting fellow. He has a facebook page and a website, flyfishincostarica dot com.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:44 PM, smath said:

Look up Peter Gorinsky. I fished with him a number of years ago. We fished for machaca and tarpon. He had discovered tarpon miles upriver from the ocean. He pioneered fly fishing in Costa Rica. I'm not sure where he is in relation to where you will be. He's a very interesting fellow. He has a facebook page and a website, flyfishincostarica dot com.

Thanks - actually had found them, a bit far from where we'll be, but thanks!  Found a local guy who is taking my boy and me out Friday, they've ben catching schoolie yellowfin tuna - hoping we get a shot at them!

search my post over on microskiff.. We are going to Nosara and i got some good info.  Overall there are not really guides it seems.  You just hire a boat captain who hopefully knows the fly rod.  DIY for jacks from the beach is an option if conditions are correct

1 hour ago, mightyrime said:

search my post over on microskiff.. We are going to Nosara and i got some good info.  Overall there are not really guides it seems.  You just hire a boat captain who hopefully knows the fly rod.  DIY for jacks from the beach is an option if conditions are correct

Thanks - did the hire a boat and pray thing, worst comes to worst my 15 year old gets some fish spinning and as long as that happens I'm cool.  We'll find out Friday.  In the meantime there are some rock outcroppings a short walk up the beach from where we're staying, so I figure I'll find something!