Angler #1

Is the first two days

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, canalsharpie said:

Rhode Island closed their season yesterday took them 8 days at 5 fish per day to fill the quota, granted their quota is only 112k pounds, but there's been tons of bass in RI if you look in the right areas over there, not just talking about block too. Also RI is open like MA in finfish, its restricted so there is not a giant amount of commercial fisherman

8 days of commercial fishing in RI? Should that be 8 weeks? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ged said:

8 days of commercial fishing in RI? Should that be 8 weeks? 

no in rhode island it is 5 fish per day every day but friday and saturday. So in RI you can get 25 fish per week over 5 days, where MA is 30 fish over 2 days. So it lasted 8 days of 5 fish per day with a restricted license, they only give new ones out if someone doesn't fulfill catch requirements or if you buy one from someone for at least $10,000. I don't know the exact number but i would imagine the amount of commercial fisherman in RI has about 10% of the commercial fisherman MA does when it comes to targeting bass maybe less. To be honest MA should be run like RI, only people who are hitting the number of pounds determined they need to  catch each year get to stay in otherwise you get the boot. Its a much better system. 

RI also breaks it into sub periods so from 5/20 to 6/30 they are allowed to catch a certain amount of that quota usually like 40%, but they can not exceed that amount until it reopens for the second period in which the other 60% is opens on July 1st. Generally the first 30% is hit by 1st or 2nd week of june and they are shut down until it opens again on July 1st for they remaining 60%.

Edited by canalsharpie

3 hours ago, canalsharpie said:

Rhode Island closed their season yesterday took them 8 days at 5 fish per day to fill the quota, granted their quota is only 112k pounds, but there's been tons of bass in RI if you look in the right areas over there, not just talking about block too. Also RI is open like MA in finfish, its restricted so there is not a giant amount of commercial fisherman

Your wrong on that......Season started May 20, 5 days a week...70% of total quota for the spring...30% for the summer, which opens July 1; but the spring season never closed because 70 % was not reached...so spring season ran right into summer season (July 1 ), which is 30% of total quota; last commercial bass day was July 10......been there, done that.....

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

The price for tuna rn is cat food cheap. Not worth targeting them commercially at the moment 

You’re right about that. However guys aren't having to run far and are bagging 95”+ fish just about every trip. Can only keep 1 per day now.  

1 hour ago, colby157 said:

You’re right about that. However guys aren't having to run far and are bagging 95”+ fish just about every trip. Can only keep 1 per day now.  

Big deal.  15 cents a pound wont cover gas to the no wake zone 

i can't for the life of me understand why someone would try to sell a tuna for pennies....must be the whole bragging rights thing. makes no sense from an economic or conservation standpoint 

Edited by bradW

26 mins ago, bradW said:

i can't for the life of me understand why someone would try to sell a tuna for pennies....must be the whole bragging rights thing. makes no sense from an economic or conservation standpoint 

I can’t imagine why someone would sell a striped bass either? A friend of mine sold a 52lb bass for $260 this year. Sad. 

On 7/12/2019 at 3:01 PM, Riptide said:

Big deal.  15 cents a pound wont cover gas to the no wake zone 

You would know better than me, but if a comm tuna fisherman catches and kills a giant, aren’t they legally obligated to sell it? At least that’s the impression I was under. Now that being said, they could let it go or not even make the trip.

Edited by jmarino1432

57 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

You would know better than me, but if a comm tuna fisherman catches and kills a giant, aren’t they legally obligated to sell it? At least that’s the impression I was under. Now that being said, they could let it go or not even make the trip.

Usually they wont even make the trip. If you get a giant to the boat a high percentage of the time that fish isnt going to make it so why even bother fishing for them if it's not worth it. Even these rec guys who hook a obviously large fish you might as well just break it off then fight it.

32 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Usually they wont even make the trip. If you get a giant to the boat a high percentage of the time that fish isnt going to make it so why even bother fishing for them if it's not worth it. Even these rec guys who hook a obviously large fish you might as well just break it off then fight it.

I was more talking about taking it home to eat themselves. Again, I assume they wouldn’t go out but if it’s that low and they like tuna, then why not?

50 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

I was more talking about taking it home to eat themselves. Again, I assume they wouldn’t go out but if it’s that low and they like tuna, then why not?

Most of the fish are over 73 so they cant retain to eat. When that's the case it's not worth fishing. There are some smaller recreational sized fish around but most are over the slot limit

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

So does this mean I can buy a slab of sushi grade bft or yft reasonably?

i paid $34 for a decent portion of yellowfin at a nice restaurant last night. 

Bob as always the price at the counter doesn't go down even though the price at the dock is way down.its a big country with lots of people who like to eat fish