Angler #1

Is the first two days

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

commercial season telling any stories. Day one a little over 1thousand pounds weighed in Day two a little over 1 thousand pounds weighed in. The bigger fish coming from the canal region according to some who where able to catch a single fish of size to sell. I spoke with a good friend that operated a fund raiser this past Sunday for the Homeless they had 71 fishermen and only caught 15 fish , however they did raise $30,000 for the charity they sponser every year

Those numbers are nowhere close to being accurate. It takes at least a week for them to be updated. First day was slow but second day was decent. I got my fish. Up to 40lbs. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jeepers.......I hope the guys( & girls) croak em!

Fill that quota!!

We do live in a commonwealth....Commercial fishing = good data reporting= Good management practices.....:th:

Edited by robc22

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

Jeepers.......I hope the guys( & girls) croak em!

Fill that quota!!

We do live in a commonwealth....Commercial fishing = good data reporting= Good management practices.....:th:

What he said

Carlos_Rafael_Sam_Murfitt_2010-728x420.j

Edited by Jonesy

13 hours ago, colby157 said:

Those numbers are nowhere close to being accurate. It takes at least a week for them to be updated. First day was slow but second day was decent. I got my fish. Up to 40lbs. 

The numbers come right of the DMF quota page as of this morning the total numbers are 3060 pounds . If you got your fish as you posted, then you should expect a good pay day?

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

The numbers come right of the DMF quota page as of this morning the total numbers are 3060 pounds . If you got your fish as you posted, then you should expect a good pay day?

Yes the numbers come from there but they often take time to be updated. The first day was probably accurate but a lot more fish got caught on Thursday then 1100 lbs. I’d say most people averaged around 7 fish on Thursday. You’ll see the total pounds on the DMF page go up in probably 3-4 days. I’m still expecting the price to be over $5 both days. I put in 18 hours of fishing on Thursday to get my fish. 

those numbers are historically slow in being updated...sometimes by over a week. even with the advances in technology, to my knowledge real time fisheries reporting is still an unattainable dream in massachusetts. please correct me if i'm wrong (would love to be). 

5 hours ago, Riptide said:

3 days down and only 5%.    That 50% prediction I made is looking better and better.  

Screenshot_20190705-082156_Chrome.jpg

first few days are always slow every year, look at it this way they added 40,000 lbs on the 2nd day basically, the third day isn't in yet and they lost the 4th day due to the holiday. Usually they don't hit the 25% mark until middle of July and August historically has been the month they fill 60-70% of the quota in. I would wait until the end of August before you feel to good on that prediction

According to this -- anyone who fished commercially Thursday broke the law.

The commercial striped bass open fishing days during the season are Monday and Thursday for all gear types. If an open fishing day falls on the 3rd or 4th of July or the quota remains open on Labor Day, the commercial striped bass fishery will be closed.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/commercial-finfish-regulations

7 hours ago, canalsharpie said:

first few days are always slow every year, look at it this way they added 40,000 lbs on the 2nd day basically, the third day isn't in yet and they lost the 4th day due to the holiday. Usually they don't hit the 25% mark until middle of July and August historically has been the month they fill 60-70% of the quota in. I would wait until the end of August before you feel to good on that prediction

The dude only makes a living as a fishing guide, but ya... 

Edited by Seadogg

FWIW, back when fishing was excellent, this is what the Commercial season looked like.   1.3m pounds so 1.5 times the current quota.  

This (and the lower Rec limit) was the beginning of the end.  

Screenshot_20190705-143911_Chrome.jpg