Ben Lippen

Pressure washer issue.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So last spring Pops' old Toro pw (3700 psi) appeared to have STB. I never did have time in the fall to rent a unit and do it ( it being the north first and second floor vinyl siding. So it is real bad now.

Anyway, I borrowed a friends  Dewalt unit (3400 psi) and am getting the job done this weekend. 

I'm not asking about spray on products, PSI ratings, tips ( I mean what one to use ), nor whether I should start at the top or bottom. This is for PW pros like Al Sears and such. Thanks

My questions are coming 

The dewalt unit has a 25' hose. the toro has a 75' (bought just for this property) which is perfect.

I plugged the toro line into the dewalt, but it wouldnt work.

I wanted to swap out the guns, but the one I borrowed was not gonna come apart from the hose easily, and I aint gonna wreck it.

So, is there actually an issue in toro guns/wands that may cause me to believe that the problem is the pump, but not actually?

I did some research and the numbers i have say the swap of lines and guns/wands should have worked. I couldn't rule it out, and it's really bugging me.

Lastly, in the longshot that I can fix/replace the gun/wand, how hard and such?

Worth it?

Thanks

Ben, admittedly a guess here.  The quick disconnect at the hose end...does it have any debris in it?  Look at the fitting's concentric rings side by side with the shorter Dewalt...do they match perfectly?  Is there a raised dimple on either of the hose disconnects (usually on the inside past the first ring).  Like Air Compressor hose fittings, they can be soooo closely alike you'd swear they're the same.  But if not perfect you don't have a marriage.  No marriage...no whoopee.

Rather than disconnect the wand end is there any chance the hose end to the PW is easier to swap out?

Lastly, and stating the obvious here, the wand works perfectly on the short Dewalt hose right?  No chance it's just the wand or tip that is clogged/closed and needs cleaned or replaced?

10 mins ago, mako20ft said:

Lastly, and stating the obvious here, the wand works perfectly on the short Dewalt hose right?  No chance it's just the wand or tip that is clogged/closed and needs cleaned or replaced?

Yeah, was I was trying to get at. I'm sure I could have ben clearer. The toro, when it quit, it still ran water out the tip. Just would not "load  up" and the motor kick in. Figured it was the pump.

The dewalt runs fine with its' own hose and wand.

But when I plugged the totor hose into the dewalt, I had that same issue of the water running through, but no power.

Could some debris in the toro wand tip be the cause of the problem?

I looked at all of the fittings closely and they all are matched up.

Thanks.

Soon as the Yankee game is over I'm going out to finish the job.

I got a buck says there is a rebuild kit for that hand held gun.  Gunk, debris, whatever...has clogged the trip inside the gun.

What's the part number?

(Oh, and Yankees SUCK)

3 hours ago, mako20ft said:

I got a buck says there is a rebuild kit for that hand held gun.  Gunk, debris, whatever...has clogged the trip inside the gun.

What's the part number?

(Oh, and Yankees SUCK)

2 hours ago, shbeachbum said:

John, before you drive yourself crazy, did you do a search on you tube? May have an answer to your problem

I did not have a chance to do that search that you both mentioned. I hadda get it done by today before the 4th of July Parade goes by this Thursday. 

I will indeed do my searching in a little bit after i shower and finally dry off.

And I will let you know.

And the sucky Yankees just put an epic weekend spanking on some team from Mass....    

As you probably know, When there is pressure in the hose those fittings are hard to get apart.  Did you try to take the tip off?  Could be debris in the tip.  The fittings also are prone to rust together.

If the water is running through the wand but not building up any pressure (just did this yesterday myself) any chance you have the tip with the biggest opening on the wand now? The tip is where the pressure builds up - assuming the pump is working - if the hole is too big, no pressure :read:

Long shot...but try replacing the tip :)

TimS

The Toro, which is the problem one, doesnt have removable/replaceable tips. Ya just push or pull the end to go from stream to wide fan.

31 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

The Toro, which is the problem one, doesnt have removable/replaceable tips. Ya just push or pull the end to go from stream to wide fan.

Is it on stream now? Sounds like it’s not restricting the flow enough to generate any pressure.  It’s the restriction of the water at the nozzle that builds up the pressure. If the pump works and you have pressure with the other wand - and water just flows kinda unrestricted with the Toro wand - Id be suspicious of that nozzle not restricting the flow enough :)

TimS

Yer right boss. I was hoping to fix the nozzle rather than buy a new pump, or new unit altogether.

The Toro has a 75' hose, and allows me to climb on the lower roof and do the one northside gable above it.

The Dewalt I borrowed that wouldnt match up has a 25' hose. I had to set up an extra ladder and call my buddy to help me lift it up onto the roof. Then back down when that was done. 

I have a 50 footer on my power washer - had a 100’ on it for a couple years ago but it was impossible to work with :freak: 

I’ve spent 4-5 hours a day for the past week power washing EVERYTHING here...fences, patio, sidewalks, siding, gutters, facia, finials, windows.... I have yet to do the siding on the second story and I’m not looking forward to it :scared: 

TimS