cheech

Tides on Wednesday in the LI sound

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

An extremely high tidal coefficient is forecast for wed. 7-3 The single high tide of the day will be near maximum height, followed by an extreme low tide. Low wind is forecast too. Could be a day to be sick, cough, cough.

Edited by cheech
Date

I don’t know the science, but there are always high currents that accompany these conditions. Fishing around rocks and rips I’ve done well in the past mid tide during these extremes with bass and blues. For me, to see rocks and structure almost never seen on the drop, and familiar landmarks underwater on the flood is rare and worth seeing.

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Can you explain why that makes it a good fishing day? I've never really studied this stuff.

New moon Tuesday night. With the conditions stated above, it could make for good night fishing. Dark, calm, topwater flies/lures. You don't even need to call in sick for work because you'd be fishing at night. A couple of nights after the new moon could also be good fishing.

In the old days here on the North Shore of LI, we could count on a good worm hatch with the new moon tides but not anymore.

Extreme low tides would bring the worms out from the back estuaries and the stripers would be waiting for them at the end of the tide at the outflow. Those were the days.