jjdbike

How do you organize freezer?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Now that I have my new freezer ordered, I’m looking ahead to setting it up.

I know I’m not alone in the experience of digging through a pile struggling to find something & stumble across something you forgot you had or something you should have used months ago.

I’m gonna keep a clip board w/ a running inventory on the side.

I’m thinking about how I can create dividers / compartment to organize different foods. 

Has anyone here come up with a good system?

JD

Medium size plastic storage totes. 

Have tried the lists before but honestly after a month that usually goes to pot.

Keeping stuff in the totes helps with the need for a list though, I can generally keep like items in their own bin.

Seems to me that crates or totes will waste a lot of space. I freeze a lot of stocks and tomatoes in quart yogurt containers. They get labeled and stacked against one wall in the freezer. In my freezer, I can  get them 4-5 high.

After that, things just get put in in a way that makes the most sense size and space wise.   My freezer cam with a hanging wire basket that is that takes the entire short length (front to back) and perhaps 1/4 the with (left to right) and is about 8-10" deep. I toss smaller vac-packs of vegetables or meats in their. 

And yes, there is a inventory list on the front of it WITH A PENCIL ATTACHED TO IT to assist with keeping it up to date. If you have to go search for something to write with or cross things off, that is when your list goes to pot......

37 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Seems to me that crates or totes will waste a lot of space. I freeze a lot of stocks and tomatoes in quart yogurt containers. They get labeled and stacked against one wall in the freezer. In my freezer, I can  get them 4-5 high.

After that, things just get put in in a way that makes the most sense size and space wise.   My freezer cam with a hanging wire basket that is that takes the entire short length (front to back) and perhaps 1/4 the with (left to right) and is about 8-10" deep. I toss smaller vac-packs of vegetables or meats in their. 

And yes, there is a inventory list on the front of it WITH A PENCIL ATTACHED TO IT to assist with keeping it up to date. If you have to go search for something to write with or cross things off, that is when your list goes to pot......

Thanks Steve,

I was thinking of cutting cardboard dividers to make bins.

JD

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Steve,

I was thinking of cutting cardboard dividers to make bins.

JD

Have to be pretty thick cardboard to stand up when under pressure from only one side.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, MakoMike said:

Laundry baskets.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:17 PM, ted527 said:

Plastic milk cases

On 6/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, NaturalScience said:

Medium size plastic storage totes. 

Have tried the lists before but honestly after a month that usually goes to pot.

Keeping stuff in the totes helps with the need for a list though, I can generally keep like items in their own bin.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, Steve in Mass said:

Thanks guys.

I poked around the interwebs looking for ideas. Many suggested a variety of plastic crates, some suggested  cardboard boxes. Just as many warned that plastic might get brittle & more importantly, air flow was important. A couple said they learned that in food safety course.Made sense to me though I can’t imagine air flowing much in there.

Poked around Home Depot and found stackable wire bins for organizing closets / cabinets. Bought 4. They leave a bit of space in front & back but I can still use that for thin items. Won’t get brittle and allows plenty of air flow. Time & experience will tell.

See pics. 

191038F6-D49E-4A31-8FB1-5D0FD395F734.jpeg

31CAD158-2BFC-4E5A-8EA5-23AD562DCF39.jpeg

90A25055-D9BF-4F3D-BCDC-AD25A9C62DDC.jpeg

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks guys.

I poked around the interwebs looking for ideas. Many suggested a variety of plastic crates, some suggested  cardboard boxes. Just as many warned that plastic might get brittle & more importantly, air flow was important. A couple said they learned that in food safety course.Made sense to me though I can’t imagine air flowing much in there.

Poked around Home Depot and found stackable wire bins for organizing closets / cabinets. Bought 4. They leave a bit of space in front & back but I can still use that for thin items. Won’t get brittle and allows plenty of air flow. Time & experience will tell.

See pics. 

191038F6-D49E-4A31-8FB1-5D0FD395F734.jpeg

31CAD158-2BFC-4E5A-8EA5-23AD562DCF39.jpeg

90A25055-D9BF-4F3D-BCDC-AD25A9C62DDC.jpeg

That’ll work!