Little

Lets make things fair

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Simple question (S).  Making things fair.

Two guys go to the bank and withdraw their money in cash.  In the parking lot, they stack their money in front of them.

One guy works in a paint store.  He has a little stack of 20s, about halfway up to his knee.

Other guy is a Wall Street moneychanger of some kind.  He has 8 stacks basically as high as he can reach.

Question one.  How/Why is this inequality "unfair."?

Now, @fishweewee and I  walk up.  I go to the moneychanger and start taking his money.  About half of it.  FWW trains a weapon of war with a banana clip and silencer right at his feet to make sure he stays still.  I give a stack to my posse, a stack to FWW, keep a big stack, and give some to the paint guy.

Question two.  How/why is that "fair"?

Chew on that

Edited by Little

Equal and fair are two separate concepts, and people try to conflate the two in hopes you don’t notice the slight of hand. When people say “we just want a fair system,” usually they mean “we want a system where we get equal money regardless of what we do or don’t do to earn it.

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

Equal and fair are two separate concepts, and people try to conflate the two in hopes you don’t notice the slight of hand. When people say “we just want a fair system,” usually they mean “we want a system where we get equal money regardless of what we do or don’t do to earn it.

Well I hear the word fair bandied about.  And the word has a special subset of ideas.  Lets go with fair.

What if the Wall Street guy doesn't have any money in the bank, because all his money is invested.

Do you take half of the paint store guys money ?

May need a government agency to determine total wealth.

38 mins ago, Little said:

Two guys go to the bank and withdraw their money in cash.  In the parking lot, they stack their money in front of them.

One guy works in a paint store.  He has a little stack of 20s, about halfway up to his knee.

Other guy is a Wall Street moneychanger of some kind.  He has 8 stacks basically as high as he can reach.

Now, @fishweewee and I  walk up.  I go to the moneychanger and start taking his money.  About half of it.  FWW trains a weapon of war with a banana clip and silencer right at his feet to make sure he stays still.  I give a stack to my posse, a stack to FWW, keep a big stack, and give some to the paint guy.

Chew on that

I won't say a word, and will even support you, to the point of breaking the law, and going against everything moral and just, if you cut me in said the big media and businesses.

16 mins ago, ccb said:

Whats fair is 10  or 20 cent on every dollar?  How much you make is up to you.

please explain further.  How is it fair you get to forcefully confiscate 10 to 20% of my labor?  For what?    Voluntarily or by force?   Do I have a say in this?  

27 mins ago, Little said:

Chew on that

It is not and before I start throwing Thoreau at you again I would say your analogy is not as refined as it could be or as accurate as what people see.

So let's take these two guys. 

One with a stack of twenties as high as his head, the other to his knees.

You and FWW with you weapons, silencers and banana clips show up.   You grab a a 1/4" stack of  20's from the guy who is head high in 20's and an 1" from the guy with the 20's to his knees.

How is that fair?  How is it fair that a couple that runs a little general store in East HooHaa pays more in taxes than GE who pays next to zippo?

1 hour ago, ccb said:

Whats fair is 10  or 20 cent on every dollar?  How much you make is up to you.

Flat %.   Been for that since before it was a thing.  

24 mins ago, moonbat said:

It is not and before I start throwing Thoreau at you again I would say your analogy is not as refined as it could be or as accurate as what people see.

So let's take these two guys. 

One with a stack of twenties as high as his head, the other to his knees.

You and FWW with you weapons, silencers and banana clips show up.   You grab a a 1/4" stack of  20's from the guy who is head high in 20's and an 1" from the guy with the 20's to his knees.

How is that fair?  How is it fair that a couple that runs a little general store in East HooHaa pays more in taxes than GE who pays next to zippo?

Its not.   Both should pay the same % of their stack.

Well, that depends.  What cartridge is weewee using?  Has he been out drinking the night before?  Is he wearing appropriate hearing protection?  Can this fishweewee guy really even shoot worth a damn?   If he is holding a 25acp sideways with his arm half bent, I am taking my chances and clocking him with a shillega.  

1---Apples and oranges, the two do not have the same employment , thus the two stacks of money are equal to their jobs, but not equal to each job position

2---Stealing is never fair:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

Whats fair is folks accepting their walk in life. Folks can excel to their highest achievement according to what gifts/talents they are bestowed with. Not everyone is gonna be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon and someone has to was the dishes. Whats fair is the compensation one gets for the living that is eked out. 

A thief doesn't play the game fair!:howdy: