RocksMeEasy

8’ one piece factory rod for fluke

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I want to pair my VS150 with 20lb braid to an 8’ factory rod capable of throwing 3/8 to 1 1/2oz with moderate power and medium to medium/fast action.  Application is primarily shore fluke with small bucktails or jigs to shore bass/blues with the same or plastic swimmers.  I would like to stay around $150 or less if possible because this will not be a primary target fishing of mine.  Does this animal exist?  Do you have any recommendations?

* Note: I have 7’ & 9’ rods and I do not like the 150 on either, but 8’ should be perfect.

I just got an Daiwa Emblem pro 1pc rated 3/4-3.  I have mine paired with a Penn slammer 4500 spooled with j-braid 8x 20lb.  Works great.  Very light rod.  I primarily use it for fluke.  I'm actually thinking of moving my reel seat down a little by rod builder.

7 hours ago, RocksMeEasy said:

I want to pair my VS150 with 20lb braid to an 8’ factory rod capable of throwing 3/8 to 1 1/2oz with moderate power and medium to medium/fast action.  Application is primarily shore fluke with small bucktails or jigs to shore bass/blues with the same or plastic swimmers.  I would like to stay around $150 or less if possible because this will not be a primary target fishing of mine.  Does this animal exist?  Do you have any recommendations?

* Note: I have 7’ & 9’ rods and I do not like the 150 on either, but 8’ should be perfect.

The Blackhole 8’ Suzuki Special is slightly higher than your budget at $185, but it’s a great rod.  It’s rated 1/2 - 2 oz but will throw 3/8.  It’s a one-piece if that matters to you.  I have a 8’ CTS Baycaster which I liked so much that when I broke the butt, I ordered a replacement butt section from New Zealand and rebuilt it.  However, the Blackhole is better.

May want to check star stellar surf I have the 7' 6" one piece rated 3/8 to 2 I believe and there's an 8' that's 1/2 - 2 1/2 or 3. Great rods I use mine for most of my fishing in the back.

50 mins ago, Kapfish said:

May want to check star stellar surf I have the 7' 6" one piece rated 3/8 to 2 I believe and there's an 8' that's 1/2 - 2 1/2 or 3. Great rods I use mine for most of my fishing in the back.

+1 These are one of the most under rated rods on the market. Love ‘em.

I have several stellar light fast taper rods. One broke, went through a bit of a hassle replacing it despite the lifetime warranty, got a mojo inshore to hold me over. I vastly prefer that rod. Worth the extra, what $25. The stellar lite rods are fine but having used them to death (literally in this case) I have come to the conclusion that they are not terribly well made. My $0.002. 

49 mins ago, Wolfdog said:

8’ st crox avid surf. Fast action, great jig rod. It can handle a bit more weight too. 

Yup we’ve done some crazy things with those little rods . And as long as you don’t bust your ass on the rocks and snap it , they are great little rods ... only gripe is the cork tape fore grip unraveling pretty quick on both of mine .. slip a piece of shrink over it and better then new