Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryJ

Min. Tire Size for Tacoma on Beach

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a '97 SR5 tacoma, lifted a few inches with 285/70R17 tires.  I will be returning the truck to original ride height (period) and stock rims.  99% of the time I will drive the truck on pavement.  1% of the time I hope to drive the truck on the east coast beaches (assateague and NC).  What's a good size tire and tread for this use.  I'm old and don't want a load aggressive tire on the pavement.  Thanks.

Edited by LarryJ

Put the tire size that is specified on the door jam  and it will be fine. You don’t need big tires l, that truck will go great with stock equipment and all season radials . Just air down and go. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tire size doesn't matter as long as you have good ground clearance underneath to manage the ruts. Aggressive tire tread only digs you in when you're stuck. Minimal traction is needed in the sand. Best tire is one that's properly deflated with almost no tread. Just rides on top of the sand effortlessly with no drag.

Edited by 7nBait

Running the correct tire pressure is far more important than the tires themselves. As long as they are an appropriate size for the vehicle. Air down and you shouldn't have an issue.

Everyone that I’ve seen having troubles have had tires with small sidewalks. 

More tire less wheel! (With adequate airing down)

Factories seem to be pushing sales of big wheels (20”s etc) that are only good on pavement and “look good”. 

I used to cruise the beaches with a stock 4Runner with 32 psi in the tires, never had a problem.  I even pulled quite a few people out.  Stock tires, aired down, with 4wd and you’ll be set.