Romer Treece

Quantum Accurist or Lexa 300HD

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking to put together a fluke setup for an upcoming trip. I need it to be somewhat multifunctional....going to be fishing in depths anywhere from 25-90 ft with it and using a Nexus Heavy rod jigging bucktails from 1.5-6 oz. (with emphasis on mainly 3-4 oz. range) I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible, as I don't see myself going on but one, maybe two trips per year. I'm pretty much looking at the Accurist (I love the flipping switch) and love the low cost of it. Then I saw a flash sale for the Lexa 300HD for $170...great price for what seems to be a really nice reel. I've read the Lexa 300HD might be overkill for inshore fluking (which is pretty much all I'd be using it for). I can't decide if the Lexa might be better for the deeper water and the heavier bucktails in the 4-6 oz...but too much for the lighter stuff. I'm settled on the Nexus H as my rod...but would like to see what most people say in regards to pairing it with either the Accurist or the Lexa 300HD. Thanks for any helpful opinions!  

Jigging for fluke in 90 feet of water on the nexus and trying to keep it under 6oz means you're going to want to use 10-15lb braid. Lexa 300 while a much better quality reel is over kill in terms of capacity. The accurist with power handle runs 125, is about 3 oz lighter than the lexa, and you wont waste braid filling it up with 15lb test. Extremely light combo and you'll be able to keep the bucktail weight down.

I would also look at the Nexus XH as it's a bit stiffer and can put more action on the bucktail.

Thanks for the replies...much appreciated. I did have the question of capacity after looking at the numbers of the Lexa 300, so thanks for answering that. I will be using 10-15 lb. braid, so the lighter capacity reel makes sense instead of overloading the Lexa with line. When I'm at the store, I'll take a look at the Nexus XH and see how that feels as well. 

22 mins ago, Justinj said:

I fished my accurist with power handle up on Nantucket shoals the last two days and did great with 2-4oz stuff

Thanks for your input...what depths were you fishing at while up there? I'll be on Nantucket around Labor Day, mostly fishing from the surf, but wouldn't mind fitting in a fluke charter if I could.  

4 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

Thanks for your input...what depths were you fishing at while up there? I'll be on Nantucket around Labor Day, mostly fishing from the surf, but wouldn't mind fitting in a fluke charter if I could.  

70-100

54 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

I did have the question of capacity after looking at the numbers of the Lexa 300

Just use backing, no need to fill any reel up with your mainline. 

1 hour ago, Romer Treece said:

Thank you. Can you give me some feedback on the fish you caught up there...species and size? Just curious...

60 keeper fluke to 10lbs  in two days of fishing for six guys. Lots of 5-6lbs fish.  MOst bots are booked now through next year. You may be able to jump on the Helen h party boat. 

Edited by Justinj

52 mins ago, Justinj said:

60 keeper fluke to 10lbs  in two days of fishing for six guys. Lots of 5-6lbs fish.  MOst bots are booked now through next year. You may be able to jump on the Helen h party boat. 

Wow, what a trip! Thanks for all the info. I fish from the surf when I'm up there...but I'll see if I can work something out for some fluke also, come late August. Thanks again!